upper left in black chalk: Desdemona's / Death-Song; lower right in graphite: hanging sleeve more to side clear of dress 46 6/8 x 29 6/8
(the artist's studio sale, Christie's London, 12 May 1883, no. 14; Charles Fairfax Murray (probably by 1893 but certainly by 1899); Sir Thomas Wardle (by 1904); (his sale, Leek, Staffordshire, May 1909); W. H. Rider; by descent to his wife; her nephew, J. T. Birch; by descent to his son, W. R. Birch; (sale, Sotheby's London, 20 November 1969, no. 191); (Leger); Robert S. Walker (by 1971); Sir Paul Getty; (his sale, Christie's London, 24th November 2004, no. 4); (Agnew's, London); purchased 2005 by NGA.
- Exhibition of Fine Arts, Bradford Art Gallery, London: 1904.
- Dante Gabriel Rossetti, Painter and Poet. The Royal Academy of Arts, London and City Museum and Art Gallery, Birmingham. London, 1973, 77, no. 346.
- The Artist's Vision: Romantic Traditions in Great Britain, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2006 - 2007
- Medieval to Modern: Recent Acquisitions of Drawings, Prints, and Illustrated Books, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 2008, no. 103.
- Marillier, H. C. Dante Gabriel Rossetti: An Illustrated Memorial of His Art and Life. London, 1899: 195-196, 255.
- Wood, T. Martin. The Drawings of D. G. Rossetti. London, c. 1910: 14 and pl. XXXVI.
- Surtees, Virginia. The Paintings and Drawings of Dante Gabriel Rossetti: A Catalogue Raisonné. London, 1971: 150 (nos. 254B and 287) and Addenda no. 254.
- Elzea, Rowland, ed. The Correspondence between Samuel Bancroft Jr. and Charles Fairfax Murray, 1892 - 1916. Delaware Art Museum Occasional Paper, no. 2. Wilmington, DE (February, 1980): 29.
- "Museum Acquisitions 2006: A Selection." Apollo Magazine (December 2006): 43.
- Sell, Stacey. "Dante Gabriel Rossetti, Desdemona's Death-Song." National Gallery of Art Bulletin, no. 34 (Spring 2006): 18-19.