upper left reverse, the title, dimensions, and "S.F. MUSEUM" underlined: PHILIP GUSTON / "THE LADDER" 1978 / OIL ON CANVAS / 70X108 / S.F. MUSEUM
(David McKee, Inc., New York); purchased January 1980 by Edward R. Broida, Los Angeles; gift 2005 to NGA.
- Philip Guston, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art; Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago; Denver Art Museum; Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, 1980-1981, no. 92, pl. 81.
- Philip Guston: Paintings 1969-1980, Whitechapel Art Gallery, London; Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam; Kunsthalle, Basel, 1982-1983, no. 30, repro., as The Ladder.
- Philip Guston: The Late Works, National Gallery of Victoria Melbourne; The Art Gallery of Western Australia, Perth; Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 1984, no. 29, repro.
- Philip Guston Retrospective, Reina Sofia Museum of Modern Art, Madrid; Palau de la Virreina, Barcelona, 1989, no. 60, repro. (followed by U.S. tour through January 1990, organized by the St. Louis Art Museum).
- Founders and Heirs of the New York School, Museum of Contemporary Art, Tokyo; The Miyagi Museum of Art; Museum of Modern Art, Ibaraki, 1997, no. 58, repro.
- Selections from the Collection of Edward R. Broida, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2006, unnumbered brochure, fig. e.
- In the Tower: Philip Guston, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2009-2010, no cat.