signed and dated in gray ink, below larger study: FO [in monogram] /den 31te Januar 1817.; and under the smaller study in pen and black ink: den 8te Februar.; verso, at bottom right in modern graphite: 74
Marks and Labels
The artist's family; by descent to his niece, Marie Schmiedl, Vienna. (sale, C. G. Boerner, Leipzig, 28 April 1939, lot 15, pl. V). Carl Heumann [1886-1945], Chemnitz (Lugt 2841a). Helmut Domitzlaff, Munich. (Galerie Arnoldi-Livie, Munich) in 1996 Wolfgang Ratjen, Munich; purchased 2007 by NGA.
- German Master Drawings from the Wolfgang Ratjen Collection, 1580 - 1900, NGA, 2010: 29, 37, no. 55, under nos. 46/47, 54, 58, and 91.
- Grothe, Ludwig. Die Brüder Olivier und die deutsche Romantik. Berlin, 1938: 147, 390 (reprod. 152, fig. 86).
- Schneider, Arthur von. Deutsche Romantiker-Zeichnungen. Munich, 1942: xi, no. 16 (reprod).
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection