No overview available.
on reverse on a tablet: NUL NE SY FROTE.
Marks and Labels
Prince Petr Soltykoff, Paris. (sale, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, 8 April-1 May 1861, no. 484). Frédéric Spitzer [1815-1890], Paris; (his estate sale, Paris, 17 April-16 June 1893, no. 497). Maurice Kann [d. 1906], Paris; purchased 1908 with the entire Kann collection by (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London, New York, and Paris); purchased 13 November 1909 by Peter A.B. Widener, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania; inheritance from the Estate of Peter A.B. Widener by gift through power of appointment of Joseph E. Widener, Elkins Park, 1942.
- Molinier 1892, 2: (1891): 43-44, no. 81.
- Inventory of the Objects d'Art at Lynnewood Hall, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, The Estate of the Late P.A.B. Widener. Philadelphia, 1935: 36, Van Dyck Room, as by Couly Nouailly, about 1530.
- Works of Art from the Widener Collection. Foreword by David Finley and John Walker. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 10, as by Couly Nouailly.
- Wilson, Carolyn C. Renaissance Small Bronze Sculpture and Associated Decorative Arts at the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1983: 203, no. 30.
- Distelberger, Rudolf, Alison Luchs, Philippe Verdier, and Timonthy H. Wilson. Western Decorative Arts, Part I: Medieval, Renaissance, and Historicizing Styles including Metalwork, Enamels, and Ceramics. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1993: 97-100, color repro. 98.
The design is painted in black, brown, turquoise, blue, and white, with added gold on the surface. Foils do not appear to have been used. There are chips and some restoration at the edge. The gold decoration is worn, especially on the inner rim of the bowl on the proper left. On the reverse there are abraded spots in the black enamel around the portrait bust.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection