Marks and Labels
Kann collection labels 5, 202
Frédéric Spitzer [1815-1890], Paris; (his estate sale, Paris, 17 April-16 June 1893, no. 1052, as Gaenza [Casa Pirota], sold for 7000 francs). Maurice Kann [d. 1906], Paris, by 1896; purchased 1908 with the entire Kann collection by (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London, New York, and Paris); purchased February 1910 by Peter A.B. Widener, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania; inheritance from the Estate of Peter A B. Widener by gift through power of appointment of Joseph E. Widener, Elkins Park, 1942.
- Sixteenth-Century Italian Maiolica; Selections from the Arthur M. Sackler Collection and the National Gallery of Art's Widener Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1982-1983, no. 5.
- Molinier 1892, 4: no. 17, pl. 6, as Faenza (Casa Pirota), c. 1520.
- Fortnum 1896, "Marks," 96, no. 307 (mentioned and attributed to Faenza).
- Inventory of the Objects d'Art at Lynnewood Hall, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, The Estate of the Late P.A.B. Widener. Philadelphia, 1935: 53, as Siena (Maestro Benedetto?), c. 1510.
- Works of Art from the Widener Collection. Foreword by David Finley and John Walker. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 12, as Siena (Maestro Benedetto?), about 1510.
- NGA 1982-1983, no. 5.
- Wilson, Carolyn C. Renaissance Small Bronze Sculpture and Associated Decorative Arts at the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1983: 117, no. 3, as Faenza, c. 1520.
- Distelberger, Rudolf, Alison Luchs, Philippe Verdier, and Timonthy H. Wilson. Western Decorative Arts, Part I: Medieval, Renaissance, and Historicizing Styles including Metalwork, Enamels, and Ceramics. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1993: 126-128, repro. 127.
Earthenware, covered front and back with a pinkish white tin glaze. The
painting is in blue, orange, yellow, pale green, and white. There are three
kiln-spur marks on the edge of the central roundel. The glaze is cracked on the
back. A crack from the edge between nine and ten o'clock to the center has been
repaired and overpainted. There are some rim chips.