No overview available.
Marks and Labels
Kann collection label 199
Maurice Kann, Paris; (Duveen Brothers), 1908, as part of the Kann collection; purchased February 1910 by Peter A. B. Widener, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania; inheritance from the Estate of Peter A. B. Widener by gift through power of appointment of Joseph E. Widener, Elkins Park, 1942.
- Inventory of the Objects d'Art at Lynnewood Hall, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, The Estate of the Late P.A.B. Widener. Philadelphia, 1935: 57, as Gubbio, c. 1510, possibly by Maestro Giorgio.
- Works of Art from the Widener Collection. Foreword by David Finley and John Walker. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 12, as Gubbio, about 1510.
- Distelberger, Rudolf, Alison Luchs, Philippe Verdier, and Timonthy H. Wilson. Western Decorative Arts, Part I: Medieval, Renaissance, and Historicizing Styles including Metalwork, Enamels, and Ceramics. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1993: 167-168, color repro. 167.
Earthenware, covered front and back - except beneath the foot ring - with a slightly pitted off-white tin glaze of pinkish brown tone. The painting of the front is in blue with an uneven yellowish golden-brown luster (with streaks of red) and a deep red luster; the blue is thick and has bubbled in places. The glaze has pooled and crawled somewhat on the front. There are no visible kiln-support marks. The glaze is scratched and the luster worn, and the edge is extensively worn and chipped.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection