No overview available.
in center reverse: 1525 / .Mo.Go.
Marks and Labels
Duveen (?) label in ink: "Designed by Mantegna"
(Duveen Brothers); purchased February 1912 by Peter A. B. Widener, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania; inheritance from the Estate of Peter A. B. Widener by gift through power of appointment of Joseph E. Widener, Elkins Park, 1942.
- Sixteenth-Century Italian Maiolica; Selections from the Arthur M. Sackler Collection and the National Gallery of Art's Widener Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1982-1983, repro.
- Inventory of the Objects d'Art at Lynnewood Hall, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, The Estate of the Late P.A.B. Widener. Philadelphia, 1935: 60-61.
- Works of Art from the Widener Collection. Foreword by David Finley and John Walker. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 13, as Gubbio (Maestro Giorgio Andreoli).
- NGA 1982-1983, repro.
- Wilson, Carolyn C. Renaissance Small Bronze Sculpture and Associated Decorative Arts at the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1983: 119, no. 4, color repro.
- Fiocco/Gherardi 1988-1989, 2:423-425, figs. 128, 129; 570.
- Distelberger, Rudolf, Alison Luchs, Philippe Verdier, and Timonthy H. Wilson. Western Decorative Arts, Part I: Medieval, Renaissance, and Historicizing Styles including Metalwork, Enamels, and Ceramics. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1993: 180-183, color repro. 181.
Earthenware, entirely covered with a somewhat pockmarked pinkish white tin glaze. The edge is molded into ridges front and back. The painting is in blue, green (slightly bubbled), yellow, near black, orange brown, and white (the drawing in blue), with golden-brown and pinkish red lusters. There are three neat kiln-spur marks on the painted surface on the front. A crack runs from ten o'clock to the center, and there is some scratching and chipping of the edge, especially a large chip at two o'clock.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection