stamped on top of the carcase above the right and left forelegs, flaws in the wood on the right making the I and second E illegible: [I] M CHEVALLIER.
Ernest Cronier [1840-1905], Paris; (his sale, Galerie Georges Petit, Paris, 4-5 December 1905, no. 137); (Duveen Brothers, Inc, London, New York, and Paris); sold May 1907 to Peter A.B. Widener, Philadelphia; inheritance from Estate of Peter A.B. Widener by gift through power of appointment of Joseph E. Widener, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania; gift 1942 to NGA.
- François Boucher in North American Collections: One Hundred Drawings, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; Art Institute of Chicago, 1973-1974, not in catalogue or brochure (shown only in Washington).
- Art Nouveau, 1890-1914, Victoria and Albert Museum, London; National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum, 2000-2001, no. 53 (shown only in Washington).
- Works of Art from the Widener Collection. Foreword by David Finley and John Walker. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 18.
- Boger, Louise Ade. The Complete Guide to Furniture Styles. New York, 1959: 137-138, pl. 160.
- Art Nouveau, 1890-1914. Exh. cat. Victoria & Albert Museum, London; National Gallery of Art, Washington; Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum, 2000-2001: no. 53.