No overview available.
lower right: W. H. 1874 / East Hampton L.I.
Marks and Labels
Acquired c. 1956 in Tulsa, OK, by William Roerick [1913-1995], Los Angeles. (Zabriskie Gallery, New York); sold 1961 to Harold K. Hochschild, Princeton, NJ. (Sale, Sotheby's New York, 22 October 1981, no. 54). Dr. and Mrs. John E. Larkin; (sale, Sotheby's New York, 2 June 1983, no. 77). Paul Mellon [1907-1999], Upperville, Virginia; bequest 1999 to NGA, with life interest to Mrs. Mellon; life interest released 2012.
- Winslow Homer: A Retrospective Exhibition, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1958-1959, no. 31, repro.
- A Retrospective Exhibition: Winslow Homer, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1959, no. 27.
- Winslow Homer in New York State, Storm King Art Center, Mountainville, NewYork, 1963, no. 2.
- Winslow Homer, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York; Los Angeles County Museum of Art; The Art Institute of Chicago, 1973, no. 28 (New York only).
- Roerick, William. "Edward W. Root as Teacher." Munson-Williams-Proctor Institute Bulletin (March 1957): n.p., repro.
- Gardner, Albert Ten Eyck. Winslow Homer, American Artist: His World and His Work. New York, 1961:repro. 124.
- Goodrich, David L. "How to Find Art Treasure in Your Attic." Family Weekly newspaper circular (16 March 1969): n.p.
- Harrison, Helen A. "Light of the Island Inspires its Artists." The New York Times (28 September 1997).
- Goodrich, Lloyd, edited and expanded by Abigail Booth Gerdts. Record of Works by Winslow Homer. 4 vols. New York, 2005: 2:no. 539, repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection