lower left: HOMER / 1874
Paul Mellon [1907-1999], Upperville, Virginia; bequest 1999 to NGA, with life interest to his wife, Rachel Lambert Mellon [1910-2014].
- Possibly Century Association, New York, 1874, as Blue Fishing.
- Loan to display with permanent collection, Colby College Museum of Art, Waterville, Maine, 1949-1989.
- The Art of Winslow Homer, Bowdoin College Museum of Fine Arts, Maine; Women's Union, Colby College, Waterville, Maine, 1954.
- Winslow Homer in the 1870s: Selections from the Valentine-Pulsifer Collection, The Art Museum, Princeton University; Wadsworth Atheneum, Hartford, 1990, no. 5, repro.
- Green, Samuel M. The Harold Trowbridge Pulsifer Collection of Winslow Homer Paintings and Drawings at Colby College. Waterville, 1949: 13, no. 3.
- Hendricks, Gordon. The Life and Work of Winslow Homer. New York, 1979: fig. 174.
- Carren, Rachel Ann. "From Reality to Symbol: Images of Children in the Art of Winslow Homer." 2 vols. Ph.D. diss., University of Maryland, 1990: 1:109-110.
- Cikovsky, Jr., Nicolai, and Franklin Kelly. Winslow Homer. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York. Washington, D.C., and New Haven, 1995: 143, fig. 107, under no. 76.
- Isham, Howard. Image of the Sea. New York, 2004: 367-368.
- Goodrich, Lloyd, edited and expanded by Abigail Booth Gerdts. Record of Works by Winslow Homer. 4 vols. New York, 2005: 2:272-273, 400, no. 492, repro.
- Wilmerding, John. "Masterpiece: The Odyssey of Winslow Homer." The Wall Street Journal (12 August 2006).
- Kelly, Franklin. "A Lasting Legacy: The Completion of an Unparalleled Gift." National Gallery of Art Bulletin 51 (Fall 2014): 7, repro.