lower right: Degas
Purchased in London 1876 by Henry Hill, Brighton; (his sale, Christie's, London, 25 May 1889, no. 28); purchased by Montaignac for (Michel Manzi [1849-1915], Paris); (Eugene Glaenzer [d. 1923], New York); sold 1903 to William Andrews Clark [1839-1925], New York; bequest 1926 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Deschamps Gallery, London, April 1876, no. 131.
- La 3e Exposition de Peinture [Third Impressionist Exhibition], Paris, 1877, no. 38.
- Loan Exhibition. Masterpieces of the Corcoran Gallery of Art: A Benefit Exhibition in Honor of the Gallery's Centenary, Wildenstein, New York, 1959, unnumbered catalogue, repro., as Ballet School.
- Seattle World's Fair, Fine Arts Pavillion, Seattle, 1962.
- Edgar Degar, Acquavella Galleries, New York, 1978.
- William A. Clark Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1978.
- La Vie Moderne: Nineteenth Century French Art from the Corcoran Gallery, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Columbus Museum of Arts and Sciences, Georgia; Mary and Leigh Block Gallery, Northwestern University, Evanston; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Tampa Museum; Joslyn Art Museum, Omaha; Akron Art Museum, 1983-1985, no. 41, repro., as School of Ballet (École de Danse).
- The New Painting: Impressionism 1874-1886, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1986.
- Degas, Galeries nationales du Grand Palais, Paris; Musée des Beaux-Arts du Canada; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1988-1989.
- The William A. Clark Collection: Treasures of a Copper King, Yellowstone Art Center, Billings; Montana Historical Center, Helena, 1989, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- Antiquities to Impressionism: The William A. Clark Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 2001-2002, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- Degas and the Dance, Detroit Institute of Arts; Philadelphia Museum of Art, 2002-2003.
- The Impressionist Tradition in America, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 19 July 2003-18 October 2004, unpublished checklist.
- Degas Classico e moderno,Complesso del Vittoriano, Rome, 2004-2005, no. 26, repro.
- Degas: The Uncontested Master, National Gallery of Australia, 2008, no. 51, repro.
- Degas dancers at the barre: count and counterpoint, Phillips Collection, Washington, 2011-2012, no. 6, repro.
- Degas' Little Dancer, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 2014-2015, no catalogue.
- Carroll, Dana H. Catalogue of Objects of Fine Art and Other Properties at the Home of William Andrews Clark, 962 Fifth Avenue. Part I. Unpublished manuscript, n.d. (1925): 184, no. 202.
- Corcoran Gallery of Art. Illustrated Handbook of The W.A. Clark Collection. Washington, 1932: repro. 32, 43, no. 2074, as École de Danse.
- Lemoisne, Paul André. Degas et son oeuvre. 4 vols. Paris, 1946-1949: 2(1946):216, no. 398, repro. 217.
- Corcoran Gallery of Art. Masterpieces of the Corcoran Gallery of Art. Washington, D.C., 1959: 29, repro.