No overview available.
in seal script on the base in underglaze blue in three vertical lines of two characters each: Da Qing Yongzheng nian zhi (made in the Yongzheng reign of the great Qing dynasty)
Marks and Labels
Considered a pair with NGA 1942.9.486. One vase acquired by Thomas B. Clarke [1848-1931], New York; sold 1913 to Peter A. B. Widener. The other vase acquired by J. Pierpont Morgan [1837-1913], New York, by 1911; sold to (Duveen Brothers, New York and London); sold 1915 to Peter A. B. Widener, Lynnewood Hall, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania; both vases inheritance from Estate of Peter A. B. Widener by gift through power of appointment of Joseph E. Widener, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania; gift 1942 to NGA.
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, c. 1910-1911 (the Morgan collection example, see provenance).
- Morgan 1904-1911, 2:82, no. 1340.
- Works of Art from the Widener Collection. Foreword by David Finley and John Walker. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 20.
- Bower, Virginia, Josephine Hadley Knapp, Stephen Little, and Robert Wilson Torchia. Decorative Arts, Part II: Far Eastern Ceramics and Paintings; Persian and Indian Rugs and Carpets. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1998: 86-89, color repro.
The exceptionally smooth white paste is visible on the unglazed foot-ring. The general technical excellence extends to the even, soft blue glaze.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection