upper left: PAXTON / 1910
Purchased December 1916 from the artist by the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- 106th Annual Exhibition, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 5 February - 26 March 1911, no. 14.
- Sixth Annual Exhibition of Selected American Paintings. City Art Museum, St. Louis, 17 September - 17 November 1911, no. 93.
- Sixth Annual Exhibition of Selected Paintings by American Artists, Buffalo Fine Arts Academy, Albright-Knox Gallery, 12 May - 28 August 1911, no. 104.
- Fifteenth Annual Exhibition of Oil Paintings, Worcester Art Museum, 7 June - 16 September 1912, no. 40.
- Thirty Paintings by Thirty Artists, MacBeth Gallery, New York, 3-18 January 1912, no. 21.
- Paintings by William MacGregor Paxton, St. Botolph Club, Boston, 10-21 February 1913, no. 12.
- First General Exhibition of the Guild of Boston Artists, Boston, 2-14 November 1914, no. 27.
- Panama-Pacific International Exposition, Department of Fine Arts, San Francisco, 20 February - 4 December 1915, no. 3812.
- Panama-Pacific International Post-Exposition Exhibition, Department of Fine Arts, San Francisco, 1 January - 1 May 1916, no. 4884.
- Sixth Exhibition: Oil Paintings by Contemporary American Artistis, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 17 December 1916 - 21 January 1917, no. 55.
- Loan Exhibition From the Corcoran Gallery of Art: Selected Group of Twenty American Painters, Mint Museum, Charlotte, 12 March - May 1939, unnumbred checklist.
- William McGregor Paxton, N.A.: Memorial Exhibition of Paintings, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 19 November - 14 December 1941, no. 28.
- De Gustibus: An Exhibition of American Paintings Illustrating a Century of Taste and Criticism, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 9 January - 20 February 1949, no. 40.
- Loan, Norfolk Museum of Arts and Sciences, 15 June - November 1950, no catalogue.
- A Century and a Half of American Painting: A Special Exhibition on Loan from The Corcoran Gallery of Art, Dulin Gallery of Art, Knoxville, 3 April - 13 May 1963, no. 22.
- Turn-of-the-Century America: Paintings, Graphics, Photographs, 1890-1910, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York; St. Louis Art Museum; Seattle Art Museum; Oakland Museum, 1977-1978, unnumbered checklist.
- William McGregor Paxton (1869-1941), Indianapolis Museum of Art; El Paso Museum of Art; Josyln Art Museum, Omaha; Museum of Fine Arts, Springield, Massachusetts, 1978-1979, no. 23.
- Of Time and Place: American Figurative Art from the Corcoran Gallery, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Cincinnati Art Museum; San Diego Museum of Art; University of Kentucky Art Museum, Lexington; Hunter Museum of Art, Chattanooga; Philbrook Art Center, Tulsa; Portland Art Museum, Oregon; Des Moines Art Center; Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg, Florida, 1981-1983, no. 34.
- The Forty-fifth Biennial: The Corcoran Collects, 1907 -1998, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 17 July - 29 September 1998, no checklist.
- The Gilded Cage: Views of American Women, 1873-1921, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 13 July - 27 August 2002, unpublished checklist.
- Figuratively Speaking: The Human Form in American Art, 1770-1950, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 20 November 2004 - 7 August 2005, unpublished checklist.
- Encouraging American Genius: Master Paintings from the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Parrish Art Museum, Southampton, NY; Mint Museum of Art, Charlotte; John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota, 2005-2007, checklist no. 66.
- The American Evolution: A History through Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1 March - 27 July 2008, unpublished checklist.
- American Paintings from the Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 6 June-18 October 2009, unpublished checklist.
- American Journeys: Visions of Place, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 September 2013-28 September 2014, unpublished checklist.
- Glazer, Lee. "William McCgregor Paxton, The House Maid." In Corcoran Gallery of Art : American Paintings to 1945. Edited by Sarah Cash. Washington, 2011: 198-199, 277, repro.
- Ganz, James A., ed. Jewel City: Art from San Francisco's Panama-Pacific International Exposition. Exh. cat. M.H. de Young Museum, San Francisco, 2015: 143 fig. 89.