lower right: Homer 1897
Consigned by artist in 1904 to (M. Knoedler & Co., New York); sold February 1907 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Second Annual Exhibition, Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh, 1897-1898, no. 117.
- Loaned Paintings by American Artists, Union League Club, New York, January 1898, no. 1.
- M. Knoedler & Co, New York, April-May 1898.
- Century Association, New York, 4 March 1905.
- Winter Exhibition, National Academy of Design, New York, 1906-1907, no. 84.
- First Annual Exhibition of Oil Paintings by Contemporary American Artists, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1907, no. 68.
- Twelfth Annual Exhibition, Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh, 1908, no. 143.
- Exhibition of American Classics of the Nineteenth Century, Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh; Munson-Williams-Proctor Institute, Utica; Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond; Baltimore Museum of Art; Currier Gallery of Art, Manchester, 1957-1958, no. 16.
- Winslow Homer, National Gallery of Art, Washington; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1958-1959, no. 63 (shown only in Washington and Boston).
- Loan Exhibition. Masterpieces of the Corcoran Gallery of Art: A Benefit Exhibition in Honor of the Gallery's Centenary, Wildenstein, New York, 1959, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- Past and Present: 250 Years of American Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1966, no catalogue.
- En Ny Värld: Amerikanskt landskapsmåleri 1830-1900 [New World: American Landscape Painting], National Museum, Stockholm; Gothenburg Art Museum, 1986-1987, no. 44.
- Reckoning with Winslow Homer: His Late Paintings and Their Influence, Cleveland Museum of Art; Columbus Museum of Art; Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1990-1991, unnumbered catalogue.
- The Forty-fifth Biennial: The Corcoran Collects, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1998, unnumbered catalogue.
- Encouraging American Genius: Master Paintings from the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Parrish Art Museum, Southampton; Mint Museum of Art, Charlotte; John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota, 2005-2007, checklist no.59.
- The American Evolution: A History through Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 2008, unpublished checklist.
- American Paintings from the Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 6 June-18 October 2009, unpublished checklist.
- Weatherbeaten: Winslow Homer and Maine, Portland Museum of Art, Maine, 2012, unnumbered catalogue.
- American Journeys: Visions of Place, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 September 2013-28 September 2014, unpublished checklist.
- Corcoran Gallery of Art. Handbook of the American Paintings in the Collection of the Corcoran Gallery of Art. Washington, 1947: repro. 46, 47.
- Corcoran Gallery of Art. Masterpieces of the Corcoran Gallery of Art. Washington, D.C., 1959: 54, repro.
- Simpson, Marc. "Winslow Homer, A Light on the Sea." In Corcoran Gallery of Art : American Paintings to 1945. Edited by Sarah Cash. Washington, 2011: 34, 37, 180-181, 274-275, repro.