No overview available.
in standard script on the base in underglaze blue in two vertical lines of three characters each: Da Qing Kangxi nian zhi (made in the Kangxi reign of the great Qing dynasty)
Marks and Labels
Richard Bennett, Northampton, England; sold 1911 to (Gorer, London); (Dreicer and Co., New York, agent for Gorer, London); sold 1913 to Peter A. B. Widener, Lynnewood Hall, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania; inheritance from Estate of Peter A. B. Widener by gift through power of appointment of Joseph E. Widener, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania; gift 1942 to NGA.
- Gorer 1911, 74, no. 371.
- Works of Art from the Widener Collection. Foreword by David Finley and John Walker. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 20.
- Christensen, Erwin O. Chinese Porcelains of the Widener Collection. Washington, 1947 (rev. ed. 1956): 30; 1956, 30.
- Bower, Virginia, Josephine Hadley Knapp, Stephen Little, and Robert Wilson Torchia. Decorative Arts, Part II: Far Eastern Ceramics and Paintings; Persian and Indian Rugs and Carpets. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1998: 77-80, color repro.
A few dark spots dot the surface of the blue glaze. A small blisterlike eruption is visible on the interior of the flaring neck, which has a paler glaze coloration than the exterior. The glaze ends in a relatively even line above the foot, revealing a slightly wider band of unglazed porcelain than that on 1942.9.492. The medium blue reignmark on the base is covered by a colorless glaze. This example has a particularly smooth paste, despite its somewhat dirty appearance.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection