James A. Garland [d. 1901/1902], New York. J. Pierpont Morgan [1837-1913], New York. (Duveen Brothers, New York and London); sold to Peter A. B. Widener, Lynnewood Hall, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania; inheritance from Estate of Peter A. B. Widener by gift through power of appointment of Joseph E. Widener, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania; gift 1942 to NGA.
- Morgan 1904-1911, 1:13, no. 21, pl. 21; 2:llxii, 5, no. 13.
- Works of Art from the Widener Collection. Foreword by David Finley and John Walker. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 22.
- Christensen, Erwin O. Chinese Porcelains of the Widener Collection. Washington, 1947 (rev. ed. 1956): 22, 23, repro.
- Koyama et al. 1955-1958, fig. 38, fig. 39.
- Bushell, Stephen W. Oriental Ceramic Art: Collection of W.T. Walters. New York, 1896 (plates); New York, 1899 (text). Reprint, New York, 1980: pl. 2.
- Bower, Virginia, Josephine Hadley Knapp, Stephen Little, and Robert Wilson Torchia. Decorative Arts, Part II: Far Eastern Ceramics and Paintings; Persian and Indian Rugs and Carpets. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1998: 234-235, color repro.
A chip in the exterior rim has been repaired and overpainted. The foot-ring is unglazed, and the base is covered with a colorless glaze.