No overview available.
Marks and Labels
Richard Bennett, Northampton, England. (Gorer, London); (Dreicer and Co., New York, agent for Gorer, London); sold 1913 to Peter A. B. Widener, Lynnewood Hall, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania; inheritance from Estate of Peter A. B. Widener by gift through power of appointment of Joseph E. Widener, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania; gift 1942 to NGA.
- Gorer 1911, 77, no. 391.
- Gorer/Blacker 1911, 1:pl. 29.
- Works of Art from the Widener Collection. Foreword by David Finley and John Walker. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 23.
- Bower, Virginia, Josephine Hadley Knapp, Stephen Little, and Robert Wilson Torchia. Decorative Arts, Part II: Far Eastern Ceramics and Paintings; Persian and Indian Rugs and Carpets. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1998: 155, color repro.
The vase was thrown in two sections that were luted together at the shoulder. It appears that the raised band and striations on the neck were created by a sharp tool used to cut away the leather-hard clay as it was turned on the wheel. The roughly beveled foot-ring reveals a white paste. The bottom is covered by a thin matte glaze. Only the interior of the neck and several spots on the interior bottom are glazed. A small chip is visible on the exterior of the lip.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection