No overview available.
falsely inscribed in standard script on the base in underglaze blue in three vertical columns of two characters each within a double circle: Da Ming Jiajing nian zhi (made in the Jiajing reign of the great Ming dynasty)
Marks and Labels
Richard Bennett, Northampton, England. (Gorer, London); (Dreicer and Co., New York, agent for Gorer, London); sold 1913 to Peter A. B. Widener, Lynnewood Hall, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania; inheritance from Estate of Peter A. B. Widener by gift through power of appointment of Joseph E. Widener, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania; gift 1942 to NGA.
- Works of Art from the Widener Collection. Foreword by David Finley and John Walker. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 23.
- Christensen, Erwin O. Chinese Porcelains of the Widener Collection. Washington, 1947 (rev. ed. 1956): 16, figs. 5, 6.
- Koyama et al. 1955-1958, 176, fig. 17.
- Bower, Virginia, Josephine Hadley Knapp, Stephen Little, and Robert Wilson Torchia. Decorative Arts, Part II: Far Eastern Ceramics and Paintings; Persian and Indian Rugs and Carpets. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1998: 156, color repro.
The porcelain paste is grayish white. The base is recessed within a rounded foot-ring and glazed with a thin matte glaze. There are several cracks across the base, and small associated losses have been filled and inpainted, including a portion of the inscription. The rim has been wiped free of glaze; the interior is completely glazed. A clean break around the base of the neck has been repaired and carefully overpainted. There is also a repaired and overpainted crack above the foot-ring. Several small chips occur in the foot-ring.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection