No overview available.
falsely inscribed in standard script on the base in underglaze blue in three columns of two characters each: Da Ming Xuande nian zhi (made in the Xuande reign of the great Ming dynasty)
Marks and Labels
M. J. Perry, Providence, Rhode Island. J. Pierpont Morgan [1837-1913], New York. (Duveen Brothers, New York); sold 1915 to Peter A. B. Widener, Lynnewood Hall, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania; inheritance from Estate of Peter A. B. Widener by gift through power of appointment of Joseph E. Widener, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania; gift 1942 to NGA.
- Morgan 1904-1911, 2:62, no. 1213, pl. 97.
- Works of Art from the Widener Collection. Foreword by David Finley and John Walker. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 23.
- Koyama et al. 1955-1958, pl. 42.
- Bower, Virginia, Josephine Hadley Knapp, Stephen Little, and Robert Wilson Torchia. Decorative Arts, Part II: Far Eastern Ceramics and Paintings; Persian and Indian Rugs and Carpets. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1998: 192-193, color repro.
The vessel is thrown from a fine white paste. The low foot-ring is beveled and encloses a glazed base. There are numerous tiny glaze flaws on the lower body. The carved areas were then covered with a slightly bluish transparent glaze that continues onto the interior.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection