on the Virgin's prayerbook: virgo / [c]oncipiet / [e]t p[a]ri[et] / fili[um et vocabitur nomen eius] em[m]anuel / butirum et / mel come / dit u[t] fiat / [rep]roba[re] (Propter hoc dabit Dominus ipse vobis signum. Ecce virgo concipiet, et pariet filium, et vocabitur nomen eius Emmanuel. Butyrum et mel comedet, ut sciat reprobare malum, et eligere bonum; from Isaiah 7:14-15)
Painted to serve as the altarpiece of the Guardini chapel on the left side of the rood screen in the church of San Niccolò Oltrarno, Florence, and probably in place by 1426; transferred by c. 1567 (the date of the demolition of the rood screen) to the altar of the other chapel of the Guardini family in the same church; moved 1576 to the Sacristy (and replaced by the Annunciation altarpiece newly painted by Alessandro Fei); in a room annexed to the sacristy, probably until the end of the eighteenth century. possibly Francis Weymss-Charteris-Douglas, 9th earl of Wemyss [1796-1883], Gosford House, Longniddry, Scotland; by inheritance to his son, Francis Richard Charteris, 10th earl of Wemyss [1818-1914], Gosford House, by 1886; by inheritance to his son, Hugo Richard Charteris, 11th earl of Wemyss, [1857-1937], Gosford House; sold c. 1915 to (Robert Langton Douglas, London); sold to Henry Goldman [1857-1937], New York, by 1916; (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London and New York); purchased 26 April 1937 by The A.W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift 1937 to NGA.
- Exhibition of Works by the Old Masters. Winter Exhibition, Royal Academy of Arts, London, 1886, no. 185, as by Anonymous, Italian School.
- Valentiner, Wilhelm R., ed. Unknown Masterpieces in Public and Private Collections. London, 1930: n.p., pl. 2.
- Venturi, Lionello. Italian Paintings in America. 3 vols. New York and Milan, 1933: 2:188
- Duveen Brothers. Duveen Pictures in Public Collections of America. New York, 1941: no. 28, repro.
- Preliminary Catalogue of Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1941: 126, no. 16.
- Book of Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 239, repro. 149.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Mellon Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1949 (reprinted 1953 and 1958): 14, repro.
- Einstein, Lewis. Looking at Italian Pictures in the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1951: 34-37, repro.
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds., Great Paintings from the National Gallery of Art. New York, 1952: 12, color repro.
- Spencer, John R. "Spacial Imagery of the Annunciation in Fifteenth Century Florence." The Art Bulletin37, no. 4 (December 1955): 279, repro.
- Parronchi, Alessandro. "'Una Nunziatina di Paolo Uccello' Ricostruzione della Cappella Carnesecchi." Studi Urbinati Serie B, 36, no. 1 (1962): 1-38, repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. New York, 1963 (reprinted 1964 in French, German, and Spanish): 298, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 84.
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds. A Pageant of Painting from the National Gallery of Art. 2 vols. New York, 1966: 1:18, color repro.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 74, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 218, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. Washington, 1979: 1:305-306, 2:pl. 218.
- Sutton, Denys. "Robert Langton Douglas. Part III." Apollo 109, no. 208 (June 1979): 431 , fig. 8.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 76, no. 25, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 251, repro.
- Roberts, Perri Lee. Masolino da Panicale. Oxford, 1993: 98, repro.
- Boskovits, Miklós, David Alan Brown, et al. Italian Paintings of the Fifteenth Century. The Systematic Catalogue of the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 2003: 466-471, color repro.