falsely inscribed in standard script on the base in underglaze blue within a double circle in three columns of two characters each: Da Ming Chenghua nian zhi (made in the Chenghua reign of the great Ming dynasty)
Marks and Labels
J. Pierpont Morgan [1837-1913], New York, by 1904. (Duveen Brothers, New York and London); sold 1915 to Peter A. B. Widener, Lynnewood Hall, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania; inheritance from Estate of Peter A. B. Widener by gift through power of appointment of Joseph E. Widener, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania; gift 1942 to NGA.
- Morgan 1904-1911, 1:120, no. 785, pl. 52.
- Works of Art from the Widener Collection. Foreword by David Finley and John Walker. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 24.
- Bower, Virginia, Josephine Hadley Knapp, Stephen Little, and Robert Wilson Torchia. Decorative Arts, Part II: Far Eastern Ceramics and Paintings; Persian and Indian Rugs and Carpets. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1998: 185, color repro.
This vase is made of three sections that are luted together. The interior has a thin, matte transparent glaze with a faint greenish tinge. The foot-ring is rounded, and the recessed base is glazed with a thin, shiny colorless glaze.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection