No overview available.
Marks and Labels
This panel, along with NGA 1939.1.41 and 1939.1.43, are stated to have come from the collection of a contessa Giustiniani, Genoa; (Count Alessandro Contini-Bonacossi, Rome); sold July 1930 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1939 to NGA.  See the bill of sale described in note 2. No documented collection of the conti Giustiniani at Genoa seems to have existed, at least in the early years of the twentieth century. The works that Elisabeth Gardner ( A Bibliographical Repertory of Italian Private Collections, ed. Chiara Ceschi and Katharine Baetjer, 4 vols., Vicenza, 1998-2011: 2(2002):183) cites as formerly the property of the contessa Giustiniani almost all seem to have been purchased on the art market shortly before 1930, when Contini Bonacossi sold them to Samuel H. Kress. The contessa is thus more likely to have been a dealer, or agent, than a collector. See also Miklós Boskovits and David Alan Brown, Italian Paintings of the Fifteenth Century, National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue, Washington and New York, 2003: 616 n. 3.  The painting is included on a bill of sale dated 15 July 1930 that included eight paintings from the Giustiniani collection (copy in NGA curatorial files).This panel, along with NGA 1939.1.41 and 1939.1.43, are stated to have come from the collection of a contessa Giustiniani, Genoa;
- Preliminary Catalogue of Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1941: 3, no. 153.
- Book of Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 242, repro. 53.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 36, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 7
- Schiller, Gertrud. Ikonographie der christlichen Kunst. 6 vols. Gütersloh, 1966-1990: 4, pt. 2:64, 65, 71, 246, 316, fig. 520.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Italian Schools, XIII-XV Century. London, 1966: 65-66, fig. 176.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 1, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 12, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: I:4-5, II: repro. pl. 3
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 82, no. 38, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 18, repro.
- Dini, Giulietta Chelazzi, Alessandro Angelini, and Bernardina Sani. Sienese Painting From Duccio to the Birth of the Baroque. New York, 1997: 200-201.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection