lower left: Wm. M. Chase
William A. Clark [1839-1925]; gift 2 February 1917 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Sixth Exhibition of Oil Paintings by Contemporary American Artists, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 17 December 1916-21 January 1917, no. 259.
- Chase Centennial Exhibition, John Herron Art Museum, Indianapolis, 1 November-11 December 1949, no. 54, repro.
- William Merritt Chase, 1849-1916, A Retrospective Exhibition, Parrish Art Museum, Southampton, New York, 30 June-27 July 1957.
- William Merritt Chase/Portraits, Akron Art Museum, 5 June-29 August 1982, no. 37, repro.
- The William A. Clark Collection: Treasures of a Copper King, Yellowstone Art Center, Billings; Montana Historical Society, Helena, 1989, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- William Merritt Chase: Master of American Impressionism, Spanierman Gallery, New York, 2 November 1994-31 January 1995, no. 63.
- The Forty-fifth Biennial: The Corcoran Collects, 1907-1998, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1998, unnumbered checklist, repro.
- The American Evolution: A History through Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1 March-27 July 2008, unpublished checklist.
- American Journeys: Visions of Place, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 September 2013-28 September 2014, unpublished checklist.
- Cash, Sarah, ed. Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Washington, 2011: 36, 292, repro.