lower right: Kay Sage 40
Collection of the artist [1898-1963], Woodbury, Connecticut; her estate; bequest 10 October 1963 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Kay Sage: Paintings, San Francisco Museum of Art, 18 March-6 April 1941.
- Kay Sage: Paintings, Tone Price Galleries, Los Angeles, 3-29 February 1941, no. 3.
- Women Artists in Washington Collections, University of Maryland Art Gallery, College Park, 18 January-25 February 1979, no. 66, repro.
- Solitude: Inner Visions in American Art, Terra Museum of American Art, Evanston, 25 September-30 December 1982, no. 32, repro.
- Miller, Stephen Robeson. "The Art of Kay Sage." M.A. Thesis, Boston University, 1982: no. 30, in the Stephen Robeson Miller research material on Kay Sage, 1898-1983; Archives of American Art, Washington, D.C., microfilm reel no. 2888,
- Suther, Judith D. A House of Her Own: Kay Sage, Solitary Surrealist. Lincoln and London, 1997: repro.
- Cash, Sarah, ed. Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Washington, 2011: 325, repro.
- Miller, Stephen Robeson, and Jonathan Stuhlman. Double Solitaire: The Surreal Worlds of Kay Sage and Yves Tanguy. Katonah, New York, 2011: fig. 6.