Purchased 1926 by James Parmelee [1855-1931], Washington; by inheritance 1931 to his widow, Alice Maury Parmelee [1866-1940], Washington; bequest 1941 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Recent Paintings by Emil Carlsen, N.A., Macbeth Gallery, New York, 9-28 February 1921, no. 4.
- One Hundred and Seventeenth Annual Exhibition, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 5 February - 26 March 1922, no. 367.
- Seventeenth Annual Exhibition of Paintings by American Artists, City Art Museum, Saint Louis, 15 September - 25 October 1922, no. 20.
- An Exhibition of Paintings by Emil Carlsen, Department of Fine Arts, Carmege Institute, Pittsburgh, 25 June - 4 September 1923, no. 51.
- Special Exhibition of Paintings by Emil Carlsen, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Wasingotn, 3-29 April 1923, no. 51.
- Winter Exhibition, National Academy of Design, New York, 17 November - 16 December 1923, no. 380.
- The Tenth Exhibition of Contemporary American Oil Paintings, Corcoran Gallery of Art, 4 April - 16 May 1926, no. 84.
- Norfolk Museum of Arts and Sciences, 1950, no catalogue.
- Extended loan for use by Vice President and Mrs. George H.W. Bush, Vice President's House, Washington, 1981-1989.
- The Forty-fifth Biennial: The Corcoran Collects, 1907-1998, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1998, unnumbered checklist.
- Encouraging American Genius: Master Paintings from the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Parrish Art Museum, Southampton, NY; Mint Museum of Art, Charlotte; John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota, 2005-2007, checklist no. 78.
- The American Evolution: A History through Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 2008, unpublished checklist.
- McLean, Randall. "Emil Carlsen, The Picture from Thibet." In Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Edited by Sarah Cash. Washington, 2011: 224-255, 280, repro.