No overview available.
across bottom below saints: S ANDREAS APPUS; S BENEDICTUS; center right on book: AUSCU/LTA O/FILI PR/ECEPTA/MAGIS/[T]RI ET IN/CLINA AUREM/CORDIS T/UI ET AMONITIONE M
Marks and Labels
Probably in the sacristy of the church of San Miniato al Monte, Florence, from whence the triptych may have been removed shortly after 1830. Bertram Ashburnham [1797-1878], 4th earl of Ashburnham, Ashburnham Place, Battle, Sussex; by inheritance to his son, Bertram Ashburnham [1840-1913], 5th earl of Ashburnham, Ashburnham Place; by inheritance to his daughter, Lady Mary Catherine Charlotte Ashburnham [1890-1953], Ashburnham Place; (Robert Langton Douglas, London); purchased 19 June 1919 by(Duveen Brothers, Inc., London, New York, and Paris); sold 15 December 1936 to The A.W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift 1937 to NGA.
- Italian Paintings of the XIV to XVI Century, Detroit Institute of Arts, 1933, no. 11, repro., as Altarpiece by Gherardo Starnina.
- Duveen Brothers. Duveen Pictures in Public Collections in America. New York, 1941: no. 24, as by Gherardo Starnina.
- Preliminary Catalogue of Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1941: 69, no. 4.
- Book of Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 239, repro. 106.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Mellon Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1949 (reprinted 1953 and 1958): 8, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 54
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 46, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 140, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: I:192-194, II:pl. 134
- Sutton, Denys. "Robert Langton Douglas. Part III." Apollo 109 (June 1979): 447  fig. 1, 452 .
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 73, no. 16, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 162, repro.
- Halpine, Susana M. "An Investigation of Artists' Materials Using Amino Acid Analysis: Introduction of the One-Hour Extraction Method." Studies in the History of Art 51 (1995): 41-48, 61, repro. no. 7.
- Symposium, Early Italian Paintings Techniques and Analysis, Maastricht, 1996: 81, repro.
- Bustin, Mary. "Recalling the Past: Evidence for the Original Construction of Madonna Enthroned with Saints and Angels by Agnolo Gaddi." Studies in the History of Art 57 (1997): 35-64, repro. no. 2.
- Hand, John Oliver. National Gallery of Art: Master Paintings from the Collection. Washington and New York, 2004: 11, no. 6, color repro.
- Gordon, Dillian. The Italian Paintings Before 1400. National Gallery Catalogues. London, 2011: under 220, no. NG568.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection