No overview available.
center right on border of Madonna's bodice: MDVIII.R.V.PIN (1508 Raphael of Urbino painted it)
Marks and Labels
Niccolini family, Casa Niccolini, Florence, by 1677; sold after 1772 to Johann Joseph Zoffany [d. 1810]; sold c. 1775 to George Nassau Clavering-Cowper, 3rd Earl Cowper [d. 1789], Panshanger, Hertford, England; by inheritance to George Augustus Clavering-Cowper, 4th Earl Cowper [d. 1799], Panshanger; by inheritance to Peter Leopold Louis Francis Nassau Clavering-Cowper, 5th Earl Cowper [d. 1837], Panshanger; by inheritance to George Augustus Frederick Cowper, 6th Earl Cowper [d. 1856], Panshanger; by inheritance to Francis Thomas De Grey Cowper, 7th Earl Cowper and 7th Baron Lucas [d. 1905], Panshanger and Wrest Park, Bedford, England; by inheritance to his widow, Katrine Cecilia Compton Cowper, Countess Cowper [d. 1913], Panshanger; by inheritance to Lady Ethel Desborough, granddaughter of the 6th Earl, Panshanger; sold 1928 to (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London, New York, and Paris); sold November 1928 to Andrew W. Mellon, Pittsburgh and Washington, D.C.; deeded 30 December 1930 to The A.W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift 1937 to NGA.
- Possibly Pictures of the Italian and Spanish Schools, British Institution, London, 1816, no. 32, as The Virgin and Infant Savior.
- Possibly British Institution, London, 1841, no. 28, as Virgin and Child.
- Art Treasures of the United Kingdom: Paintings by Ancient Masters, Art Treasures Palace, Manchester, 1857, no. 141.
- Exhibition of Works by the Old Masters. Winter Exhibition, Royal Academy of Arts, London, 1881, no. 152.
- National Loan Exhibition in Aid of National Gallery Funds, Grafton Galleries, London, 1909-1910, no. 66, repro.
- Second National Loan Exhibition. Woman and Child in Art, Grafton Galleries, London, 1913-1914, no. 35, repro.
- Raphael and America, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1983, no. 81, repro.
- Kunstauktion 2 supplement (8 July 1928): repro.
- Valentiner, Wilhelm R., ed. Unknown Masterpieces in Public and Private Collections. London, 1930: n.p., pl. 20.
- Duveen Brothers. Duveen Pictures in Public Collections of America. New York, 1941: no. 135, repro.
- Preliminary Catalogue of Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1941: 162-163, no. 25.
- Book of Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 239, repro. 173.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Mellon Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1949 (reprinted 1953 and 1958): 28, repro.
- Einstein, Lewis. Looking at Italian Pictures in the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1951: 56-58, repro.
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds., Great Paintings from the National Gallery of Art. New York, 1952: 38, color repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. New York, 1963 (reprinted 1964 in French, German, and Spanish): 306, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 107.
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds. A Pageant of Painting from the National Gallery of Art. 2 vols. New York, 1966: 1:128, color repro.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 95, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 280, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. Washington, 1979: I:389-391, II:pl. 278.
- Alsop, Joseph. The Rare Art Traditions: The History of Art Collecting and Its Linked Phenomena Wherever These Have Appeared. Bollingen series 35, no. 27. New York, 1982: 452.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 176, no. 198, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 325, repro.
- Kopper, Philip. America's National Gallery of Art: A Gift to the Nation. New York, 1991: 100, 269, color repro.
- Beck, James H. Raphael. New York, 1994: 22, repro.
- Meyer zur Capellen, Jürg. Raphael in Florence. London, 1996: 174, no. 175, repro.
- Pergam, Elizabeth A. The Manchester Art Treasures Exhibition of 1857: Entrepreneurs, Connoisseurs and the Public. Farnham and Burlington, 2011: 125-126, fig. 4.6, 155, fig. 4.10, 215-216, 226, 233 n. 109, 313.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection