No overview available.
Marks and Labels
Possibly commissioned as part of the high altarpiece of a church dedicated to Saint John the Baptist in Emilia Romagna or in the Marche, Italy. Probably Monsignor Gabriele Laureani [d. 1849], Rome; Guilio Sterbini [d. 1911], Rome, by 1874; Pasini collection, Rome, by 1924; (Count Alessandro Contini-Bonacossi, Florence); purchased June 1933 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1939 to NGA.
- An Exhibition of Italian Paintings, Lent by Mr. Samuel H. Kress of New York to Museums, Colleges, and Associations, twenty-four venues in the United States, 1932-1935, no. 32.
- Il Trecento Riminese: Maestri e botteghe tra Romagna e Marche, Museo della Città, Rimini, Italy, 1995-1996, no. 52, repro.
- Venturi, Adolfo. La Galleria Sterbini in Roma: saggio illustrativo. Rome, 1906: 48, 51 (repro.), 53.
- National Gallery of Art. Book of Illustrations. Washington, DC, 1941: 60 (repro.), 238.
- Preliminary Catalogue of Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1941: 13, no. 242, as by Giovanni Baronzio.
- Book of Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 244, repro. 62, as by Giovanni Baronzio.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1945 (reprinted 1947, 1949): 9, repro., as by Giovanni Baronzio.
- Einstein, Lewis. Looking at Italian Pictures in the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1951: 24 n. 1
- Toesca, Pietro. Il Trecento. Storia dell’arte italiana, 2. Turin, 1951: 730-731, repro 732.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 25, repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. New York, 1963 (reprinted 1964 in French, German, and Spanish): 297, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 86
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Italian Schools, XIII-XV Century. London, 1966: 69, fig. 184.
- Berenson, Bernard. Italian Pictures of the Renaissance. Central Italian and North Italian Schools. 3 vols. London, 1968: 1:362.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 75, repro.
- Fredericksen, Burton B., and Federico Zeri. Census of Pre-Nineteenth Century Italian Paintings in North American Public Collections. Cambridge, Mass., 1972: 130, 277, 645.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 222, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: I:316, II:pl. 228
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 254, repro.
- Frinta, Mojmír S. Punched Decoration on Late Medieval Panel and Miniature Painting. Prague, 1998: 164.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection