Admission is always free Directions

Open today: 10:00 to 5:00

Marks and Labels

"22.5" in ink on proper right at back of Mary's bench

Provenance

Reportedly Lichtenthal Abbey, Baden-Baden.[1] (J. and S. Goldschmidt, Frankfurt-am-Main);[2] Ralph Harman [1873-1931] and Mary Batterman [d. 1951] Booth, Grosse Point, Michigan, by 1923;[3] gift 1942 to NGA.

Exhibition History
1923
Ralph H. Booth Loan Collection, Detroit Institute of Arts, 1923, no cat.
1926
The Third Loan Exhibition of Old Masters, Detroit Institute of Arts, 1926, no. 84, as middle Rhenish, about 1450.
Bibliography
1923
Demmler, Theodor. "German Gothic Sculpture in the Ralph N. [sic] Booth Collection, Detroit." Art in America 11 (June 1923): 165-170, especially 166-169, fig. 2.
1923
Valentiner, Wilhelm R. "Ralph H. Booth Loan Collection." Bulletin of the Detroit Institute of Arts 4 (1923): 50.
1926
The Third Loan Exhibition of Old Masters (Catalogue of a Loan Exhibition from Detroit Private Collections). Exh. cat. The Detroit Institiute of Arts, 1926: no. 84.
1942
"National Gallery Gets 3 Sculptures." New York Times 6 December 1942.
1948
Recent Additions to the Ralph and Mary Booth Collection. Washington, 1948: unpaginated, repro.
1965
Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 165.
1968
European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 145, repro.
1983
Wilson, Carolyn C. Renaissance Small Bronze Sculpture and Associated Decorative Arts at the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1983: 159, as Franco-Flemish.
1994
Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 97, repro.