No overview available.
Marks and Labels
The sitter's granddaughter, Maria Fennell [c. 1800-1880], Philadelphia; her niece, Rosalie Vallance Tiers Jackson [Mrs. Charles P. Jackson, 1852-1944], Jupiter, Florida; given 1915 to her nephew, Clarence Van Dyke Tiers [1869-1959], Oakmont, Pennsylvania, and Daytona Beach, Florida; gift 1942 to NGA.
- Loan Exhibition of Historical Portraits, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, no. 350.
- American Paintings, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1943.
- [Exhibition], Ohio University, Athens, Ohio, 1954.
- Famous Americans, Washington County Museum of Fine Arts, Hagerstown, Maryland, 1955, no cat.
- Thomas Sully 1783-1872, Bedford Gallery, Longwood College, Farmville, Virginia, 1973, no. 6.
- Extended loan for use by the Ambassador, U.S. Embassy residence, East Berlin, East Germany, 1974-1977.
- Selected American Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, University Center Gallery, University of Tennessee, Chattanooga, 1974, no cat.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Ronald Lauder, U.S. Embassy residence, Vienna, Austria, 1986-1987.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Henry Anatole Grunwald, U.S. Embassy residence, Vienna, Austria, 1987-1990.
- Extended loan for use by Justice Anthony Scalia, Supreme Court of the United States, Washington, D.C., 1991-2008.
- Hart 1909, no. 1363, 136.
- Biddle, Edward, and Mantle Fielding. The Life and Works of Thomas Sully (1783-1872). Philadelphia, 1921: no. 1425, 254.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 112, repro.
- Flynn, Elizabeth L. Thomas Sully, 1783-1872. Exh. cat. Bedford Gallery, Longwood College, Farmville, Virginia, 1973: 14, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 243, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 360, repro.
- Torchia, Robert Wilson, with Deborah Chotner and Ellen G. Miles. American Paintings of the Nineteenth Century, Part II. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1998: 148-150, color repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection