stamped in the wax positive on lower left shoulder, in incised circle: M.L.G. [Maurice Le Garrec]; cold-stemped on bottom rim at front left: 2192-I; cold-stamped inside, front center, in incised circle: 3/25
Sold 12 March 1940 through (Charles Sessler, Philadelphia) to Lessing Julius Rosenwald, Jenkintown, Pennsylvania; gift 1943 to NGA.
- Honoré Daumier, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1960, no cat., as Pelet de la Lozère.
- Lithography and Sculpture of Daumier, Realist and Satirist, The Hill School, Pottstown, Pennsylvania, 1964, unnumbered brochure, as Barbé-Marbois?.
- Daumier Sculpture: A Critical and Comparative Study, Fogg Art Museum, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1969, no. 34c, as Unknown ("Pelet de la Lozère").
- Nineteenth-Century Sculpture, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1974, unnumbered checklist, as Bust of an Unknown Man, called "Pelet de la Lozère".
- Daumier: 1808-1879, Natl. Gal. of Canada, Ottawa; Galeries nationales du Grand Palais, Paris; Phillips Coll., Washington, D.C., 1999-2000, no. 44b, repro., as Lucas or Vigo?, usually identified as Pelet de La Lozère (shown only in Washington).
- Gobin, Maurice. Daumier Sculpteur, 1808-1879. Geneva, 1952: no. 13.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 150, as one of The Deputies, complete set of 36 bronze busts.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 56, repro.
- Butler, Ruth, and Suzanne Glover Lindsay, with Alison Luchs, Douglas Lewis, Cynthia J. Mills, and Jeffrey Weidman. European Sculpture of the Nineteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2000: 129-131, color repro.