No overview available.
lower left: TS (in monogram) 1820
Marks and Labels
The sitter's son, John Carnan Ridgely [1790-1867], Hampton, Towson, Maryland; his son, Charles Ridgely [1830-1872], Hampton, Towson, Maryland; his son, Captain John Ridgely [1851-1938], Hampton, Towson, Maryland; his son, John Ridgely, Jr. [1882-1959], Hampton, Towson, Maryland; gift 1945 to NGA.
- Loan Exhibition of Sully Portraits Owned in Maryland, The Maryland Institute and Municipal Art Society, Baltimore, 1921, no. 9, as Gen. Charles Ridgely, Governor of Maryland.
- American Paintings from the 18th Century to the Present Day, Tate Gallery, London, 1946, no. 208.
- Early American Portraits and Silver [Golden Jubilee of the Colonial Dames of America], J. B. Speed Memorial Museum, Louisville, Kentucky, 1947, no cat.
- American Painters of the South, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1960, no. 69.
- Classical Maryland 1815-1845, Fine and Decorative Arts from the Golden Age, Maryland Historical Society, Baltimore, 1993, fig. 91.
- Hart 1909, no. 1406, 140.
- Biddle, Edward, and Mantle Fielding. The Life and Works of Thomas Sully (1783-1872). Philadelphia, 1921: no. 1473, 250.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 112, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 243, repro.
- Williams 1981, 87, repro. 105.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 361, repro.
- Colwill, Stiles Tuttle. "The Fine Arts in Classical Baltimore." In Weidman, Gregory R., and Jennifer F. Goldsborough. Classical Maryland 1815-1845: Fine and Decorative Arts from the Golden Age. Exh. cat. Maryland Historical Society. Baltimore, 1993: 73, fig.91.
- Torchia, Robert Wilson, with Deborah Chotner and Ellen G. Miles. American Paintings of the Nineteenth Century, Part II. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1998: 159-162, color repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection