No overview available.
Marks and Labels
The sitter's great-grand-niece, Mrs. Margaret B. Dohan, Philadelphia; purchased by 1917 by Herbert Lee Pratt [d. 1945], New York City and Glen Cove, Long Island, New York; gift 1945 to NGA.
- Exhibition of Early American Paintings, Museum of the Brooklyn Institute of Arts and Sciences, 1917, no. 108, as Joseph A. Dougan.
- Memorial Exhibition of Portraits by Thomas Sully, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1922, no. 77.
- A Century of Progress Exhibition of Paintings and Sculpture, Art Institute of Chicago, 1934, no. 380.
- A Loan Exhibition of American Portraits by American Painters 1730-1944, M. Knoedler & Co., New York, 1944, no. 12.
- 200 Years of American Portraiture: 1776-1976, Museum of Art, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, 1976, p. 70-71.
- Benjamin West and His American Students, National Portrait Gallery, Washington, D.C.; Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1980-1981, no. 121.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Ronald Lauder, U.S. Embassy residence, Vienna, Austria, 1986-1990.
- Hart 1909, no. 453, 56.
- An Exhibition of Early American Paintings. Exh. cat. Museum of the Brooklyn Institute of Arts and Sciences, Brooklyn, 1917: no. 108, 100.
- Hart, Charles Henry. Historical Descriptive and Critical Catalogue of the Works of American Artists in [the] Collection of Herbert L. Pratt, Glen Cove, L.I. New York, 1917: no. 28, 64.
- Biddle, Edward, and Mantle Fielding. The Life and Works of Thomas Sully (1783-1872). Philadelphia, 1921: no. 492, 142.
- Catalogue of the Memorial Exhibition of Portraits by Thomas Sully. Exh. cat. Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1922: no. 77, 50.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 110, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 241, repro.
- Evans, Dorinda. Benjamin West and His American Students. Exh. cat. National Portrait Gallery, Washington, D.C., 1980: 156, fig. 121.
- Williams 1981, repro. 86, 86-87.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 359, repro.
- Torchia, Robert Wilson, with Deborah Chotner and Ellen G. Miles. American Paintings of the Nineteenth Century, Part II. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1998: 137-139, color repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection