No overview available.
lower left: Nattier pinxit. / 1753.
Marks and Labels
Traditionally said to have belonged to Odette-Marie de Montesquiou-Fezensac [1853-1874], wife of comte Antoine de Gramont d'Aster [1846-1894]; presumably by inheritance to her brother, Louis-Paul-Anatole, marquis de Montesquiou-Fezensac [1857-1883]; by inheritance to his widow [née Claude-Étiennette-Marie-Octavie de Sauvan d'Aramon, 1864-1936]; (Wildenstein & Co., Paris, New York, and London); sold December 1944 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1946 to NGA.
- Recent Additions to the Kress Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1946, no. 785.
- Dimier, Louis. Les peintres français du XVIIIe siècle. 2 vols, 1928-1930. Paris, 1930: 2:no. 64.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1945 (reprinted 1947, 1949): 160, repro.
- Frankfurter, Alfred M. Supplement to the Kress Collection in the National Gallery. New York, 1946: 62, repro.
- Wildenstein and Company. French XVIII Century Paintings. New York, 1948: 4
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds., Great Paintings from the National Gallery of Art. New York, 1952: 118, color repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 359, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 95.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 84, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 252, repro.
- Eisler, Colin. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: European Schools Excluding Italian. Oxford, 1977: 310-311, fig. 276.
- Grate, Pontus. "Nattier and the Goddess of Eternal Youth." Thought and Form, Nationalmuseum of Stockholm Bulletin, 3, no. 3 (1979): 153, repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 341, no. 465, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 291, repro.
- Woodall, Joanna, ed. Portraiture: Facing the Subject. Manchester, 1997: repro.
- The Arts of France from François Ier to Napoléon Ier. A Centennial Celebration of Wildenstein's Presence in New York. Exh. cat. Wildenstein & Co., Inc., New York, 2005: 78 (not in the exhibition).
- Conisbee, Philip, et al. French Paintings of the Fifteenth through the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2009: no. 74, 343-347, color repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection