Presumably the sitter, Henri II de Lorraine [1614-1664, became 5th duc de Guise in 1640], Paris. François Roger de Gaignières [1642-1715], by 1711; (his estate sale, Paris, 29 July - 6 August 1717, no. 22 [505 livres]). Probably Sir Edward Grey, Viscount Grey of Fallodon [1862-1933]; by inheritance to the Misses Bright, Stocks. Arthur Kay [c. 1862-1939], Esq., Glasgow, by 1893. (H.O. Miethke, Vienna); Jacob Herzog, Vienna, by 1895 until at least 1899;(William Schaus, New York); purchased 1900/1901 by William Collins Whitney [1841-1904], New York; by inheritance to his son, Harry Payne Whitney [1872-1930], New York; by inheritance to his widow, Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney [1875-1942], New York; by inheritance to their son, Cornelius Vanderbilt Whitney [1899-1992], New York; gift 1947 to NGA.
- Exhibition of Works by the Old Masters. Winter Exhibition, Royal Academy of Arts, London, 1893, no. 130, as Portrait of William Villiers, Viscount Grandison.
- Van Dyck Tentoonstelling ter gelegenheid der 300e verjaring der beboorte van den Meester, Museum van Schoone Kunsten, Antwerp, 1899, no. 82.
- Eighth Loan Exhibition of Old Masters. Paintings by Anthony van Dyck, Detroit Institute of Arts, 1929, no. 40, repro., as William Villiers--Viscount Grandison.
- Masterpieces of Art. European Paintings and Sculpture from 1300-1800, New York World's Fair, 1939, no. 107, repro., as William Villiers, Viscount Grandison.
- Loan to display with permanent collection, The Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens, San Marino, California, 2002-2003.
- Kelly, Francis M. "A Van Dyck from the Cabinet de Gaignières in the Whitney Collection, New York." Apollo 22 (August 1935): 91-94.
- "Old Masters in America: Important Gifts to the National Gallery, Washington" The Illustrated London News (September 16, 1950): 449, repro.
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds., Treasures from the National Gallery of Art, New York, 1962: 84, color repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. New York, 1963 (reprinted 1964 in French, German, and Spanish): 311, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 47.
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds. A Pageant of Painting from the National Gallery of Art. 2 vols. New York, 1966: 2:278, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 122, repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 264, no. 340, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 147, repro.
- Barnes, Susan J. Van Dyck: A Complete Catalogue of the Paintings. New Haven, 2004: III.101
- Wheelock, Arthur K., Jr. Flemish Paintings of the Seventeenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2005: 90-95, color repro.