No overview available.
Marks and Labels
William Beckford [1760-1844], Fonthill Abbey, Wiltshire, and Bath, England; his daughter, Susan Euphemia Beckford, 10th Duchess of Hamilton [1786-1859], Hamilton Palace, County Lanark, Scotland; by descent to William Alexander Louis Stephen Douglas-Hamilton, 12th Duke of Hamilton [1845-1895]; (his estate sale, Christie, Manson and Woods, London, 6 November 1919, no. 74); bought by (Tooth Brothers, London); sold 4 February 1920 to Thomas B. Clarke [1848 1931], New York; his estate; sold as part of the Clarke collection on 29 January 1936, through (M. Knoedler & Co., New York), to The A.W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift 1947 to NGA.
- Exhibition of Paintings by Early American Portrait Painters, The Union League Club, New York, November 1921, no. 5, as Elizabeth Gordon.
- Exhibition of Paintings and Drawings by Benjamin West and of Engravings Representing His Work, Brooklyn Museum, 1922, no. 24, as Elizabeth Gordon, Countess of Sutherland
- Portraits by Early American Artists of the Seventeenth, Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries, Collected by Thomas B. Clarke, Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1928-1931, unnumbered and unpaginated catalogue, as Elizabeth Beckford.
- Two Centuries of American Portraits, University of Kentucky Art Gallery, Lexington; Paducah Art Gallery; J.B. Speed Art Museum, Louisville, 1970, unnumbered
- Extended loan for use by Dumbarton House (The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America), Washington, D.C., 1974-1975.
- The Grand Tour: The Tradition of Patronage in Southern Art Museums, Montgomery, AL, 1988-1989, unnumbered
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Walter Curley, U.S. Embassy residence, Paris, France, 1989-1993.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Philip Lader, U.S. Embassy residence, London, England, 2000-2001.
- William Beckford, 1760-1844: An Eye for the Magnificent, The Bard Graduate Center for Studies in the Decorative Arts, New York; Dulwich Picture Gallery, London, 2001-2002, no. 2, repro.
- Britton, John. The Beauties of Wiltshire. 10 vols. London, 1801: 1:230.
- "A Correct Catalogue of the Works of Mr. West." Public Characters of 1805. London, 1805: 561.
- "A Correct List of the Works of Mr. West." Universal Magazine 3 (1805): 528.
- "A Correct Catalogue of the Works of Benjamin West, Esq." La Belle Assemblée or Bell's Court and Fashionable Magazine 4, Supplement (1808): 14.
- Galt, John. "A Catalogue of the Works of Mr. West." The Life, Studies, and Works of Benjamin West, Esq.. London, 1820: 220.
- Redding, Cyrus, ed. Memoirs of William Beckford of Fonthill, Author of "Vathek". 2 vols. London, 1820: 2:369-370.
- Lansdown, H. V. Recollections of the Late William Beckford, of Fonthill, Wilts. and Lansdown, Bath. Edited by Charlotte Lansdown. Privately printed, 1893: 9.
- Portraits by Early American Artists of the Seventeenth, Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries, Collected by Thomas B. Clarke. Exh. cat. Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1928, unnumbered, as Elizabeth Beckford.
- Chapman, Guy. Beckford. New York, 1937: 9, repro. opp. 40, 244.
- Gardner, Albert Ten Eyck. "Beckford's Gothic Wests." Metropolitan Museum of Art Bulletin 13 (October 1954): 41-49.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 120, repro., as Mrs. William Beckford.
- Kraemer, Ruth. Drawings by Benjamin West and His Son Raphael Lamar West. New York, 1975: 71-72, no. 158, plates 86, 87.
- Dillenberger 1977, 151, no. 135.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 255, repro., as Mrs. William Beckford.
- Hamilton-Phillips, Martha. "Benjamin West and William Beckford: Some Projects for Fonthill." Metropolitan Museum Journal 15 (1980): 157-174, repro.
- Williams 1981, repro. 59.
- Von Erffa and Staley 1986, 107, 492-493, no. 594, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 378, repro., as Mrs. William Beckford.
- Miles, Ellen G. American Paintings of the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1995: 344-348, color repro. 347.
- Kirsh, Andrea, and Levenson, Rustin S. Seeing Through Paintings: Physical Examination in Art Historical Studies. Physical Examination in Art Historical Studies, vol. 1. New Haven, 2000: 262.