No overview available.
Marks and Labels
Sarah Glen Douglas Stuart [Mrs. Richardson Stuart], Baltimore; her brother, Jacob Douglas [1788-1873], Alexandria, Virginia; his daughter, Rebecca Douglas Hazlett; her son, Douglas Hazlett; (sale, Stan. V. Henkels, Philadelphia, 5 February 1920, no. 25); Thomas B. Clarke [1848-1931], New York, N.Y; his estate; sold as part of the Clarke collection 29 January 1936, through (M. Knoedler & Co., New York), to The A.W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift 1947 to NGA.
- Second Annual Exhibition in Peale's Baltimore Museum, of the Works of American Artists, ... in this City and its Vicinity, The Peale Museum, Baltimore, 1823, no. 127.
- Exhibition of Paintings by Early American Portrait Painters, The Union League Club, New York, November 1921, no. 3.
- A Loan Exhibition of Paintings by Early American Portrait Painters, The Century Association, New York, 1926, no. 11.
- Portraits by Early American Artists of the Seventeenth, Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries, Collected by Thomas B. Clarke, Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1928-1931, unnumbered and unpaginated catalogue.
- Rendezvous for Taste: Peale's Baltimore Museum, 1814-1830 [25th Anniversary Exhibition], The Peale Museum, Baltimore, 1956, no. 88.
- The Peale Family: Three Generations of American Artists, Detroit Institute of Arts; Munson-Williams-Proctor Institute, Utica, New York, 1967, no. 153.
- Portraits by Early American Artists of the Seventeenth, Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries, Collected by Thomas B. Clarke. Exh. cat. Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1928, unnumbered.
- Elam, Charles H., ed. The Peale Family: Three Generations of American Artists. Exh. cat. Detroit Institute of Art, 1967: 109, no. 153, repro. 110.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 86, repro.
- Colle, Doriece. Collars...Stocks...Cravats: A History and Costume Dating Guide to Civilian Men's Neckpieces 1655-1900. Emmaus, Pennsylvania, 1972: 106, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 205, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 256, repro.
- Torchia, Robert Wilson, with Deborah Chotner and Ellen G. Miles. American Paintings of the Nineteenth Century, Part II. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1998: 57-60, color repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection