No overview available.
Marks and Labels
The sitter's nephew, William Truman Stoddert [1759-1793]; his son, John Truman Stoddert [1790-1870], Charles County, Maryland; his daughter, Elizabeth Stoddert Bowie [Mrs. Robert Bowie, Jr., 1826-c.1905], Charles County and Baltimore, Maryland; sold 1892 to James A. Conner [d. 1921], Baltimore; bequeathed to George D. Hall, Seattle, Washington. J. Bannister Hall; purchased 1922 by Thomas B. Clarke [1848-1931], New York; his estate; sold as part of the Clarke collection 29 January 1936, through (M. Knoedler & Co., New York), to The A.W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift 1947 to NGA.
- Exhibition of Portraits by Early American Portrait Painters, The Union League Club, New York, 1923, no. 4.
- Portraits by Early American Artists of the Seventeenth, Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries, Collected by Thomas B. Clarke, Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1928-1931, unnumbered and unpaginated catalogue.
- A Loan Exhibition of Portraits of Soldiers and Sailors in American Wars, Duveen Galleries, New York, 1945, no. 10.
- Famous Americans, Washington County Museum of Fine Arts, Hagerstown, Maryland, 1955, no cat.
- Smallwood Foundation, Inc., Faulkner, Maryland, September 1958.
- Daughters of the American Revolution, Washington, April 1960.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, National Museum of American History, Washington, D.C., 1965-1989.
- Extended loan for display with the museum's collection, 1975-2004.
- Robert Edge Pine: A British Portrait Painter in America, 1784-1788, National Portrait Gallery, Washington, 1979-1980, no. 61.
- Exhibition of Portraits by Early American Portrait Painters. Exh. cat. The Union League Club, New York, 1923: no. 4.
- Portraits by Early American Artists of the Seventeenth, Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries, Collected by Thomas B. Clarke. Exh. cat. Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1928, unnumbered.
- A Loan Exhibition of Portraits of Soldiers and Sailors in American Wars. Exh. cat. Duveen Galleries, New York, 1945: no. 10.
- Sellers, Charles Coleman. Portraits and Miniatures by Charles Willson Peale. Philadelphia, 1952: 12, 195, no. 800.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 90, repro.
- Stewart, Robert G. Robert Edge Pine: A British Portrait Painter in America, 1784-1788. Exh. cat. National Portrait Gallery, Washington, 1979: 59, 82-83, no. 61, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 210, repro.
- Williams 1981, 71, repro. 73.
- Miller, Lillian B., Sidney Hart, Toby A. Appel, and David C. Ward, eds. The Selected Papers of Charles Willson Peale and His Family. 3 vols. New Haven and London, 1983-1991: 1:495-496, 504-505.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 262, repro.
- Miles, Ellen G. American Paintings of the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1995: 129-132, repro. 131.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection