No overview available.
lower right: B. West; on back of canvas in a later hand: Elisabeth Countess of Effingham / Daughter of Peter Beckford Esq:r
Marks and Labels
William Beckford [1760-1844], Fonthill Abbey, Wiltshire, and Bath, England; his daughter, Susan Euphemia Beckford, 10th Duchess of Hamilton [1786-1859], Hamilton Palace, County Lanark, Scotland; by descent to William Alexander Louis Stephen Douglas-Hamilton, 12th Duke of Hamilton [1845-1895]; (his estate sale, Christie, Manson and Woods, London, 6 November 1919, no. 77); bought by (Tooth Brothers, London); sold 4 February 1920 to Thomas B. Clarke [1848 1931], New York; his estate; sold as part of the Clarke collection on 29 January 1936, through (M. Knoedler & Co., New York), to The A.W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift 1947 to NGA.
- Exhibition of Paintings by Early American Portrait Painters, The Union League Club, New York, November 1921, no. 18, as Elizabeth Beckford.
- Portraits by Early American Artists of the Seventeenth, Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries, Collected by Thomas B. Clarke, Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1928-1931, unnumbered and unpaginated catalogue, as Elizabeth Gordon.
- Extended loan for use by the Ambassador, U.S. Embassy residence, Stockholm, Sweden, 1982-1986.
- Britton, John. The Beauties of Wiltshire. 10 vols. London, 1801: 1:230.
- "A Correct Catalogue of the Works of Mr. West." Public Characters of 1805. London, 1805: 561.
- "A Correct List of the Works of Mr. West." Universal Magazine 3 (1805): 528.
- "A Correct Catalogue of the Works of Benjamin West, Esq." La Belle Assemblée or Bell's Court and Fashionable Magazine 4, Supplement (1908): 14, no. 135.
- Galt, John. "A Catalogue of the Works of Mr. West." The Life, Studies, and Works of Benjamin West, Esq.. London, 1820: 220.
- Redding, Cyrus, ed. Memoirs of William Beckford. 2 vols. London, 1859: 2:369-370.
- Lansdown, H. V. Recollections of the Late William Beckford, of Fonthill, Wilts. and Lansdown, Bath. Edited by Charlotte Lansdown. Privately printed, 1893: 9.
- Portraits by Early American Artists of the Seventeenth, Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries, Collected by Thomas B. Clarke. Exh. cat. Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1928, unnumbered, as Elizabeth Gordon.
- Gardner, Albert Ten Eyck. "Beckford's Gothic Wests." The Metropolitan Museum of Art Bulletin 13 (October 1954): 41-49.
- Alexander, Boyd, ed. Life at Fonthill, 1807-1822, With Interludes in Paris and London, from the Correspondence of William Beckford. London, 1957: 336.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 120, repro.
- Dillenberger 1977, 151, no. 135.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 255, repro.
- Hamilton-Phillips, Martha. "Benjamin West and William Beckford: Some Projects for Fonthill." Metropolitan Museum Journal 15 (1980): 157-174, repro.
- Von Erffa and Staley 1986, 107, 504-505, no. 615, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 378, repro.
- Miles, Ellen G. American Paintings of the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1995: 341-344, repro. 343.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection