lower right: Robert Henri; upper left of canvas reverse: Robert Henri; upper right of canvas reverse: 266 / H; across top horizontal stretcher bar reverse: CATHERINE [sic]
Purchased from the artist by (Macbeth Gallery, New York); sold November 1913 to William J. Johnson, Uniontown, Pennsylvania; by inheritance to his son, Oscar Doyle Johnson, Wynnewood, Pennsylvania; gift 1948 to NGA.
- French, American and Italian Review, Oklahoma Art Center, Oklahoma City, 1963, no. 36.
- Robert Henri: Painter-Teacher-Prophet, New York Cultural Center, 1969, addenda, repro.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Peter R. Coneway, U.S. Embassy residence, Bern, Switzerland, 2006-2008.
- From New York to Corrymore: Robert Henri and Ireland, Mint Museum Uptown, Charlotte; Georgia O'Keeffe Museum, Santa Fe; Everson Museum of Art, Syracuse, 2011-2012, no. 12, repro.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 66, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 173, repro.
- Williams 1981, repro. 200, 202.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 561, no. 855, color repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 200, repro.