lower right: J F Millet
Adolph Edward Borie [1809-1880] and his wife, née Elizabeth Dundas McKean, Philadelphia; possibly purchased from Borie or at a sale by George C. Thomas, Philadelphia. (M. Knoedler & Co, London, New York, and Paris) in 1905, and again on consignment in 1910, when sold to R. Horace Gallatin [1871-1948], New York; gift 1949 to NGA.
- Classics of the Nude, M. Knoedler & Co., New York, 1939, no. 22.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Georgia Museum of Art, University of Georgia, Athens, 1967-1971.
- Hoeber, Arthur. The Barbizon Painters. New York, 1915: repro. opposite 17.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 90.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 79, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 234, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 269, repro.
- Eitner, Lorenz. French Paintings of the Nineteenth Century, Part I: Before Impressionism. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2000: 321-323, color repro.