No overview available.
Marks and Labels
Prince Ferdinando Lorenzo Strozzi [1821-1878], Florence, by 1857/1858. Louis-Charles Timbal [1821-1880], Paris; sold 1872 with his collection to Gustave Dreyfus [1837-1914], Paris; his heirs; sold 1930 with th entire Dreyfus collection to (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London and New York); sold May 1936 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1939 to NGA.
- Circa 1492: Art in the Age of Exploration, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1991-1992, not in cat.
- Piero e Urbino, Piero e le Corti rinascimentali, Palazzo Ducale, Urbino, 1992, no. 61, repro.
- The Renaissance from Brunelleschi to Michelangelo: The Representation of Architecture, Palazzo Grassi, Venice; NGA, Washington, D.C.; Musée des Monuments Français, Paris; Altes Mus., Berlin, 1994-1996, no. 422 of cat. supplement (shown only in Paris).
- From Filippo Lippi to Piero della Francesca: Fra Carnavale and the Making of a Renaissance Master, Pinacoteca di Brera, Milan; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 2004-2005, no. 40, repro.
- Il Rinascimento a Urbino. Fra' Carnevale e gli artisti del Palazzo di Federico [The Renaissance in Urbino: Fra Carnevale and the artists of the Palazzo Federico], Galleria Nazionale delle Marche, Urbino, 2005-2006, no. 29, repro.
- Loan to display with the permanent collection, Galleria Nazionale delle Marche, Urbino, 2006.
- L'Uomo del Rinascimento: Leon Battista Alberti e le arti a Firenze tra ragione e bellezza, Palazzo Strozzi, Florence, March-July 2006, no. 159, repro.
- Arquitecturas pintadas: del Renacimiento al siglo XVIII, Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza, Madrid, 2011-2012, no. 11, repro.
- Guiffrey, J. "La Collection de M. Gustave Dreyfus," Les Arts VIII (January 1908):393
- Offner, Richard. "The Barberini Panels and Their Painter." In Mediaeval Studies in Memory of A. Kingsley Porter. Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1939: 236-246.
- Richter, George Martin. "Rehabilitation of Fra Carnevale," ArtQ (Autumn 1940):317-318, repro.
- Duveen Brothers. Duveen Pictures in Public Collections of America. New York, 1941: nos. 56-57, repros.
- _Preliminary Catalogue of Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1941: 127-128, no. 329, as by the Master of the Barberini Panels.
- _Book of Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 246, repro. 151.
- Frankfurter, Alfred M. The Kress Collection in the National Gallery. New York, 1944: 34, repro., as by Master of the Barberini Panels.
- _Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1945 (reprinted 1947, 1949): 37, repro.
- _Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 61, repro.
- Seymour 1961 (Kress), 32, color repro. pl. 27
- _Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 84.
- _European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 74, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Italian Schools, XV-XVI Century. London, 1968: 3, fig. 1.
- _European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 218, repro.
- Christiansen, Keith. "For Fra Carnevale," Apollo CIX, no. 205 (March 1979): 198+.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: I:309-311, II:pl. 222
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 108, no. 82, color repro., as by Master of the Barberini Panels.
- _European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 253, repro.
- Mündler, Otto. "The Travel Diaries of Otto Mündler." Ed. Carol Togneri Dowd. Walpole Society 51 (1985): 220, 291.
- Gingold, Diane J. and Elizabeth A.C. Weil. The Corporate Patron. New York, 1991: 196-197, color repro. (As by the Master of the Barberini Panels.)
- Shaw-Eagle, Joanna. "Christ's Birth Gave Birth to Astounding Images: Gallery Glitters with holy Masterpieces." Washington Times (December 21, 1997): D5.
- Gersch-Nešic, Beth. “Pregnancy." In Encyclopedia of Comparative Iconography: Themes Depicted in Works of Art. Edited by Helene E. Roberts. 2 vols. Chicago, 1998: 2:753.
- Boskovits, Miklós, and David Alan Brown, et al. Italian Paintings of the Fifteenth Century. The Systematic Catalogue of the National Gallery of Art. Washington, D.C., 2003: 182-186, color repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection