No overview available.
Marks and Labels
Casa Perego, Milan, by 1871, as Portrait of Maximilian Sforza by Andrea Solario. Comm. Cristoforo Benigno Crespi, Milan, by 1900. Probably owned jointly by (Wildenstein & Co., London, New York and Paris) and (René Gimpel, Paris), from c. 1911; sold 1919 to Henry Goldman [1857-1937], New York, until at least 1930. (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London and New York); sold 1937 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1939 to NGA.
- Fiftieth Anniversary Exhibition, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1920, unnumbered catalogue.
- Exhibition of Italian Art 1200-1900, Royal Academy of Arts, London, 1930, no. 387 (no. 342 of commemorative catalogue published 1930; not in souvenir catalogue).
- Masterpieces of Art. European Paintings and Sculpture from 1300-1800, New York World's Fair, 1939, no. 7, repro.
- "The Portraits of Bartolomeo Veneto", Timken Museum of Art, San Diego, 2002, no. 4.
- Bellini, Giorgione, Titian, and the Renaissance of Venetian Painting, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna, 2006-2007, no. 48, repro.
- Duveen Brothers. Duveen Pictures in Public Collections of America. New York, 1941: nos. 144-145, repros., as Portrait of Massimiliano Sforza [Presumed].
- Preliminary Catalogue of Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1941: 16, no. 368.
- Book of Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 247, repro. 64.
- Frankfurter, Alfred M. The Kress Collection in the National Gallery. New York, 1944: 48, repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1945 (reprinted 1947, 1949): 113, repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 153, repro.
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds., Treasures from the National Gallery of Art, New York, 1962: 26, color repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 10.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 3, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Italian Schools, XV-XVI Century. London, 1968: 164-165, fig. 396.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 18, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: I:27-29, II: repro. pl. 17
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 219, no. 269, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 36, repro.
- Hackenbroch, Yvonne. Enseignes. Florence, 1996:104, repro. 118