No overview available.
lower center on parapet: VVO
Marks and Labels
Robert P. Nichols, London. William Graham [1817-1885], London; (his estate sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 2-3 and 8-10 April 1886, 5th day, no. 450, as Portrait of a Lawyer); (Colnaghi's, London and New York). Henry Doetsch, London; (his sale, Christie's, London, 22 June 1895, no. 48, as Licinio); Radel. George Kemp, 1st baron Rochdale [d. 1945], Beechwood Hall, Rochdale, Lancashire, by 1897 until at least 1905; purchased 1917 or 1918 by (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London, New York, and Paris). Henry Goldman [1857-1937], New York, 1920 until at least 1926. (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London, New York, and Paris); sold 1937 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1939 to NGA.
- Burlington Fine Arts Club, London, 1905.
- Fiftieth Anniversary Exhibition, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1920, unnumbered catalogue.
- Loan Exhibition of Important Early Italian Paintings in the Possession of Notable American Collectors, Duveen Brothers, New York, 1924, no. 44, as by Titian (no. 47, as Portrait ofa Merchant in illustrated 1926 version of catalogue).
- Le Siècle de Titien: L'âge d'or de la peinture à Venise, Galeries du Grand Palais, Paris, 1993, no. 41, fig. 5, 375-379, repro. 56, as Portrait d'homme by Titian.
- Tiziano e il Ritratto di Corte da Raffaello ai Carracci, Museo e Gallerie Nazionali di Capodimonte, Naples, 2006, no. 2, repro.
- Tullio Lombardo and Venetian High Renaissance Sculpture, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2009, as Venetian 16th Century, not in catalogue.
- Tietze, Hans. Meisterwerke europäischer Malerei in Amerika. Vienna, 1935: 85, repro. (English ed., Masterpieces of European Painting in America. New York, 1939: 85, repro.).
- Duveen Brothers. Duveen Pictures in Public Collections of America. New York, 1941: no. 153, repro., as by Titian.
- Preliminary Catalogue of Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1941: 79-80, 198, no. 369.
- Book of Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 247, repro. 114.
- Frankfurter, Alfred M. The Kress Collection in the National Gallery. New York, 1944: 47, repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1945 (reprinted 1947, 1949): 100, repro.
- Einstein, Lewis. Looking at Italian Pictures in the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1951: 88-89, repro.
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds., Great Paintings from the National Gallery of Art. New York, 1952: 58, color repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. New York, 1956: 26, repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 157, repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. New York, 1963 (reprinted 1964 in French, German, and Spanish): 307, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 58.
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds. A Pageant of Painting from the National Gallery of Art. 2 vols. New York, 1966: 1:162, color repro.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 50, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Italian Schools, XV-XVI Century. London, 1968: 178-179, fig. 426.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 154, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: I:213-216, II:pl. 146, as Attributed to Giorgione and Titian.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 199, no. 238, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 176, repro.
- Tiziano [NGA title: Titian: Prince of Painters] Exh. cat. Palazzo Ducale, Venice; National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1990-1991: 73-74, repro.
- Freedberg, S. J. "The Attribution of the Allendale Nativity." Studies in the History of Art 45 (1993): 69, repro. no. 31.
- Steinberg, Arthur. "Blurred Boundaries, Opulent Nature, and Sensuous Flesh: Changing Technological Styles in Venetian Painting, 1480-1520." Studies in the History of Art 45 (1993): 215.
- Anderson, Jaynie. Giorgione: The Painter of "Poetic Brevity". New York, 1997: 345, repro., as by Cariani.
- Gustave Courbet Exh. cat., Galeries nationales du Grand Palais, Paris; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; Musée Fabre, Montpellier, 2007:under no. 1
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection