stamped in wax positive on lower center rear, in incised circle: M.L.G [Maurice Le Garrec]; cold-stamped below: BRONZE; cold-stamped inside, front right, in incised circle: 23/25
(Henri M. Petiet, Paris), c. June 1950; sold 2 March 1951 to Lessing Julius Rosenwald, Jenkintown, Pennsylvania; gift 1951 to NGA.
- Honoré Daumier, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1960, no cat.
- Daumier Sculpture: A Critical and Comparative Study, Fogg Art Museum, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1969, no. 10b, repro.
- Nineteenth-Century Sculpture, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1974, unnumbered checklist.
- Daumier: 1808-1879, National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa; Galeries nationales du Grand Palais, Paris; The Phillips Collection, Washington, D.C., 1999-2000, no. 19b, repro., as Étienne (shown only in Washington).
- Gobin, Maurice. Daumier Sculpteur, 1808-1879. Geneva, 1952: no. 26.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 150, as one of The Deputies, complete set of 36 bronze busts.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 53, repro.
- Butler, Ruth, and Suzanne Glover Lindsay, with Alison Luchs, Douglas Lewis, Cynthia J. Mills, and Jeffrey Weidman. European Sculpture of the Nineteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2000: 145-146, color repro.