No overview available.
Marks and Labels
Oliver Wolcott [1760-1833], Litchfield, Connecticut, and New York; his son, John Stoughton Wolcott [1802-1843], New York; sold 1844 by his estate to William Jay [1789-1858], Katonah, New York; his son, John Jay II [1817-1894], New York and Katonah, New York; his son, William Jay II [1841-1915], New York and Katonah, New York; his daughter, Eleanor Jay Iselin [Mrs. Arthur Iselin, 1882-1953]; by gift to her son, William Jay Iselin [1908-1951] by 1937; from whose estate purchased 1952 by the Avalon Foundation for NGA.
- Loan Exhibition of Historical Portraits and Relics, Metropolitan Opera House, New York, 1889, no. 106.
- Loan Exhibiton of Portraits for the Benefit of the Orthopaedic Dispensary and Hospital, American Art Galleries, New York, 1903, no. 241.
- Loan Exhibition of Historical Portraits and Relics. Exh. cat. Metropolitan Opera House, New York, 1889: no. 106.
- Bowen, Clarence Winthrop, ed. The History of the Centennial Celebration of the Inauguration of George Washington as First President of the United States. New York, 1892: 144, 469, repro. opp. 26.
- Hart, Charles Henry. "Life Portraits of Alexander Hamilton." McClure's Magazine 8 (April 1897): 507, 510, repro.
- Loan Exhibition of Portraits for the Benefit of the Orthopaedic Dispensary and Hospital, Exh. cat. American Art Galleries, New York, 1903: no. 241.
- Bolton, Theodore, and Harry Lorin Binsse. "Trumbull, `Historiographer' of the Revolution." The Antiquarian 17, no. 1 (July 1931): 54.
- Sizer, Theodore. "A Tenative `Short-Title' Check List of the Works of Col. John Trumbull, Part II." The Art Bulletin 30, no. 4 (December 1948): 266.
- Bland, Harry MacNeill, and Virginia W. Northcutt. "The Life Portraits of Alexander Hamilton." The William and Mary Quarterly 3rd series, 12, no. 2 (April 1955): 191.
- Sizer, Theodore. "Col. John Trumbull's Works: A Final Report." The Art Bulletin 38, no. 2 (June 1956): 115.
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds., Treasures from the National Gallery of Art, New York, 1962: 134, color repro.
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds. A Pageant of Painting from the National Gallery of Art. 2 vols. New York, 1966: 2:390, color repro.
- Sizer, Theodore. The Works of Colonel John Trumbull. Rev. ed. New Haven and London, 1967: 36, fig. 22.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 116, repro.
- Jaffe, Irma B. John Trumbull: Patriot-Artist of the American Revolution. Boston, 1975: 208, 309, fig. 146.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 249, repro.
- Williams 1981, 75, repro.
- Cooper, Helen A., ed. John Trumbull: The Hand and Spirit of a Painter. Exh. cat. Yale University Art Gallery, New Haven, Connecticut, 1982: 122, no. 39.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 394, no. 561, color repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 369, repro.
- Miles, Ellen G., ed. The Portrait in Eighteenth-Century America. Newark, 1993, fig. 42.
- Miles, Ellen G. American Paintings of the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1995: 303-306, color repro. 305.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection