Marks and Labels
Possibly Charles I, King of England [d. 1649]. Possibly James II, King of England [deposed 1688]. Possibly Allart van Everdingen [d. 1675], Haarlem and Amsterdam; possibly (Everdingen sale. Amsterdam, 19 April 1709, no. 2). Anonymous collection, France. (dealer, Brighton, England); sold 1887 to Henry Willett; by exchange 1894 to Robert Henry [1850-1929] and Evelyn Holford [1856-1943] Benson, London and Buckhurst Park, Sussex; sold 1927 with the Benson collection to (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London and New York); sold 1949 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1952 to NGA.
- Early Venetian Pictures and Other Works of Art, Burlington Fine Arts Club, London, 1912, no. 17 (no. 57, pl. XLIII in illustrated catalogue).
- Loan Exhibition of the Benson Collection of Old Italian Masters, City of Manchester Art Gallery, 1927, no. 33.
- Masterpieces of Art, New York World's Fair, 1939, no. 144, repro.
- Berenson and the Connoisseurship of Italian Painting, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1979, no. 16, repro.
- Le Siècle de Titien: L'âge d'or de la peinture à Venise, Galeries du Grand Palais, Paris, 1993, no. 15, 295-297, repro. 29, as La Sainte Famille.
- Giorgione: Myth and Enigma, Kunsthistorisches Museum Vienna, 2004, no. 2, repro.
- Benson, Robert Henry. Catalogue of Italian Pictures at 16 South Street, Park Lane, London and Buckhurst in Sussex. London, privately printed, 1914: no. 83.
- Einstein, Lewis. Looking at Italian Pictures in the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1951: 82-85, repro., as by Venetian school, c. 1500 (possibly Giorgone).
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Collection Acquired by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation 1945-1951. Introduction by John Walker, text by William E. Suida. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1951: 98, no. 39, repro., as by Venetian School (Possibly Giorgione).
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. New York, 1956: 26, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Comparisons in Art: A Companion to the National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC. London, 1957 (reprinted 1959): pl. 32
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 155, repro.
- Seymour 1961 (Kress), 94, color repro. 87
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds., Treasures from the National Gallery of Art, New York, 1962: 24, color repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.. New York, 1963 (reprinted 1964 in French, German, and Spanish): 307, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 58
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds., A Pageant of Painting from the National Gallery of Art. 2 vols. New York, 1966: 1:158, color repro.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 50, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Italian Schools, XV-XVI Century. London, 1968: 150-151, fig. 366.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 152, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: I:211-213, II:pl. 145
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 199, no. 236, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 176, repro.
- Sebag-Montefiore, Charles. "Three Lost Collections of London." National Art Collections Fund Magazine 38 (Christmas 1988): 54.
- Freedberg, S. J. "The Attribution of the Allendale Nativity." Studies in the History of Art 45 (1993): 69, repro. no. 33.
- Anderson, Jaynie. Giorgione: The Painter of "Poetic Beauty". New York, 1997: 294, repro.
- Danziger, Elon. "The Cook Collection: Its Founder and Its Inheritors." The Burlington Magazine 146, no. 1216 (July 2004): 453.
- Hand, John Oliver. National Gallery of Art: Master Paintings from the Collection. Washington and New York, 2004: 82, no. 58, color repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection