lower right below hand: V. [C]OLONNA
Jan and Jacobus van Veerle, Antwerp, by 1650. Edward White, London, by 1870; (probably his sale, Christie's, London, 5 April 1872); purchased by (Colnaghi's, London and New York) for Sir Francis Cook, 1st Bt. [1817-1901], Doughty House, Richmond, Surrey; by inheritance to his son, Sir Frederick Lucas Cook, 2nd Bt. [1844-1920], Doughty House; by inheritance to his son, Sir Herbert Frederick Cook, 3rd Bt. [1868-1939], Doughty House; by inheritance to his son, Sir Francis Ferdinand Maurice Cook, 4th Bt. [1907-1978], Doughty House, and Cothay Manor, Somerset; (Francis A. Drey, London); sold February 1947 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1952 to NGA.
- Exhibition of the Works of the Old Masters, Royal Academy of Arts, London, 1870, no. 149, as Vittoria Colonna.
- Exhibition of Venetian Art, The New Gallery, London, 1894-1895, no. 178, as Portrait of a Lady.
- The Venetian School. Pictures by Titian and his Contemporaries, Burlington Fine Arts Club, London, 1914, no. 9, plate XLV, as Portrait of a Lady.
- Exhibition of Italian Art 1200-1900, Royal Academy of Arts, London, 1930, no. 399 (no. 398 in commemorative catalogue published 1931).
- Masterpieces from the Cook Collection, Toledo Museum of Art, Ohio, 1944-1945, no. 140 (Cook collection catalogue number), repro.
- Masterpieces of the Cook Collection, Art Gallery of Toronto (now Art Gallery of Ontario); National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa, 1945, no cat.
- Bellini, Giorgione, Titian, and the Renaissance of Venetian Painting, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna, 2006-2007, no. 40, repro., as Woman as a Wise Virgin.
- Sebastiano del Piombo, 1485-1547, Palazzo di Venezia, Rome; Kulturforum, Berlin, 2008, no. 13, fig. 7.
- Einstein, Lewis. Looking at Italian Pictures in the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1951: 91-93, repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Collection Acquired by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation 1945-1951. Introduction by John Walker, text by William E. Suida. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1951: 102, no. 41, repro., as Portrait of a Young Woman as Mary Magdalen.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Comparisons in Art: A Companion to the National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC. London, 1957 (reprinted 1959): pl. 68.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 165, repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. New York, 1963 (reprinted 1964 in French, German, and Spanish): 308, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 121.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 109, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Italian Schools, XV-XVI Century. London, 1968: 165-166, fig. 397.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 322, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: I:420-421, II:pl. 301
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 206, no. 250, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 370, repro.