upper left: John S. Sargent; upper right: 1907
The sitter's mother, Mrs. Richard H. Townsend [d. 1931, née Mary Scott], Washington, D.C.; by inheritance to the sitter, Mathilde Townsend Gerry Welles [1888-1949], Washington, D.C.; bequest 1949 to NGA, with life interest to her husband, Sumner Welles [1892-1961].
- Second Exhibition, Oil Paintings by Contemporary Artists, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1908-1909, no. 74, as Portrait of Miss Townsend.
- 104th Annual Exhibition, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1909, no. 417, as Portrait of Miss Townsend.
- Extended loan for use by Blair House, Washington, D.C., 1967-1971.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Mobile Art Gallery, Alabama, 1974-1975.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Jean B. Gerard, Unesco Ambassador's residence, Paris, France, 1982-1985.
- The Grand American Avenue: 1850-1920, The Octagon Museum, Washington, D.C.; The Historic New Orleans Collection; The Chicago Architecture Foundation, Harold Washington Library Center, 1994-1995, no cat. entry (NGA painting not shown at fourth venue).
- Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art, Washington, Kyoto Municipal Museum of Art; Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum, 1999, no. 73, repro.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Philip Lader, U.S. Embassy residence, London, England, 2000-2001.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Craig R. Stapleton, U.S. Embassy residence, Paris, France, 2005-2009.
- Downes, William Howe. John S. Sargent: His Life and Work. Boston, 1925: 229.
- Charteris, Evan. John Sargent. New York, 1927: 24.
- McKibbin, David. Sargent's Boston. Exh. cat. Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1956: 127.
- Mount, Charles Merrill. John Singer Sargent: A Biography. Rev. ed. (originally published 1955). New York, 1969: 454.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 96, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 219, repro.
- American Portraiture in the Grand Manner: 1720-1920. Exh. cat. Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1981: 70, fig. 15.
- Williams, William James. A Heritage of American Paintings from the National Gallery of Art. New York, 1981: 146, repro.
- Frank, Judy, and Mary Beth Larrabee. The Sulgrave Club's First Fifty Years: An Anniversary Album 1932-1982. Washington, D.C., 1983: 95-97, ill.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 332, repro.
- Cigliano, Jan, and Sarah Bradford Landau. The Grand American Avenue 1850-1920. Exh. cat. Octagon Museum, Washington, D.C., 1994.
- Torchia, Robert Wilson, with Deborah Chotner and Ellen G. Miles. American Paintings of the Nineteenth Century, Part II. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1998: 120-122, color repro.