No overview available.
Marks and Labels
Part of a predella, possibly that of the main altarpiece of the church of San Bernardo in Arezzo, which was subsequently removed from the altar and dismembered, but remained in the adjacent monastery of the Olivetans until at least 1767. probably Michele Cavaleri, Milan, by the mid-nineteenth century or later; acquired 1873 by Enrico (Henri) Cernuschi [1821-1896], Paris and Menton. Édouard Aynard [1837-1913], Lyons, by 1900; (his sale, Galerie Georges Petit, Paris, 1-4 December 1913, 1st day, no. 52); Hoentschel. Mme Douine, Château de la Boissière, Seine-et-Oise; (Wildenstein & Co., Inc., New York); sold December 1942 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1952 to NGA.
- Recent Additions to the Kress Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1946, no. 804.
- Frankfurter, Alfred M. The Kress Collection in the National Gallery. New York, 1944: 29, repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1945 (reprinted 1947, 1949): 33, repro.
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds., Great Paintings from the National Gallery of Art. New York, 1952: 20, color repro.
- Frankfurter, Alfred M. "Interpreting Masterpieces: Twenty-four Paintings from the Kress Collection." Art News Annual 16 (1952): 89, repro. 86
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Comparisons in Art: A Companion to the National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC. London, 1957 (reprinted 1959): pl. 15.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 53, repro.
- Seymour 1961 (Kress), 29, repro., color repro. pl. 25
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. New York, 1963 (reprinted 1964 in French, German, and Spanish): 299, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 76.
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds. A Pageant of Painting from the National Gallery of Art. 2 vols. New York, 1966: 1:28, color repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Italian Schools, XIII-XV Century. London, 1966: 107-108, fig. 290, 292.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 67, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 196, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: I:264-265, II:pl. 180
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 86, no. 43, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 230, repro.
- Kopper, Philip. America's National Gallery of Art: A Gift to the Nation. New York, 1991: 6, color repro.
- Boskovits, Miklós, and David Alan Brown, et al. Italian Paintings of the Fifteenth Century. The Systematic Catalogue of the National Gallery of Art. Washington, D.C., 2003: 410-415, color repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection